The Government of the Republic of Latvia and the Commission of the European Communities (hereinafter referred to as the Commission),
desirous of further strengthening and developing the friendly relations and cooperation between the Republic of Latvia and the European Communities,
wishing to lay down terms concerning the establishment on the territory of the Republic of Latvia of a Delegation of the Commission and concerning the privileges and immunities of that Delegation, have agreed as follows:
The Government of the Republic of Latvia hereby agrees to establishment on its territory of a Delegation of the Commission,
1. The European Communities - the European Coal and Steel Community, the European Community and the European Atomic Energy Community - shall each have legal personality on the territory of the Republic of Latvia.
2. The European Communities shall have the capacity to conclude contracts, to acquire and dispose of immovable and movable property as necessary for the effective fulfillment of their duties, in accordance with the procedural and administrative requirements imposed by the law of the Republic of Latvia, and to conduct legal proceedings, and shall be represented for that purpose by the Commission.
1. The Delegation of the Commission, its Head and its members, as well as the members of their families forming part of their respective households, shall, on the territory of the Republic of Latvia, enjoy such rights, privileges and immunities and be subject to such obligations as correspond to those laid down in the Vienna Convention of 18 April 1961 on Diplomatic Relations and respectively accorded to and assumed by Diplomatic Missions accredited to the Republic of Latvia, the heads and members of those Missions, as well as the members of their families forming part of their respective households.
2. The other provisions of the Vienna Convention of 18 April 1961 on Diplomatic Relations shall be applicable mutatis mutandis.
3. Those rights and privileges and immunities shall be accorded on condition that, in conformity with the provisions of Article 17 of the Protocol on the privileges and immunities of the European Communities annexed to the treaty establishing a single Council and a single Commission of the European Communities done at Brussels on 8 April 1965, the Member States of the European Communities accord the same rights and privileges and immunities to the Mission of the Republic of Latvia, to its head and to its members, as well as to the members of their respective households.
The Government of the Republic of Latvia hereby recognizes the laissez-passer issued by the European Communities to officials and other servants of its institutions as valid travel documents.
Any dispute concerning the interpretation or application of this Agreement shall be settled by consultations between the two Parties with the aim of arriving at a conciliation.
Each Contracting Party shall notify the other of the completion of the respective procedures necessary for the approval of the present Agreement, which will enter into force on the date of reception of the second notification.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned, duly authorized to this effect, have signed this Agreement.
Done at Brussels on 22 December 1995 in duplicate in the English language.
Tiesību akta pase
Depozitārijs:Eiropas Savienības Padome
Publicēts:"Latvijas Vēstnesis", 33, 21.02.1996.