The Saeima1 has adopted and
On the National Anthem of Latvia
The National Anthem of Latvia is one of the State symbols of the Republic of Latvia.
The National Anthem of Latvia - the nation's solemn prayer is:
"Dievs, svētī Latviju,
Mūs' dārgo tēviju,
Svētī jel Latviju,
Ak, svētī jel to!
Kur latvju meitas zied,
Kur latvju dēli dzied,
Laid mums tur laimē diet,
(1) The National Anthem of Latvia shall be performed in the Latvian language with the music composed by Kārlis Baumanis (in the Annex - the music). The anthem may be played as an instrumental performance.
(2) When the National Anthem of Latvia is performed, its text and music must conform to the text and music that has been approved by this Law.
(1) It shall be mandatory to perform the National Anthem of Latvia:
1) when raising the national flag of Latvia during events organised by State and local government institutions;
2) when opening ceremonial events, which are dedicated to holidays and commemoration days of the Republic of Latvia as prescribed by law;
3) when waiting for and accompanying other state and government leaders, who have arrived in Latvia on an official visit; and
4) daily, when commencing transmission of State television and radio programmes.
(2) The National Anthem of Latvia may also be performed during other public events, to provide solemn circumstances.
During the performance of the National Anthem of Latvia at public events the persons present shall be upstanding, males shall remove their hats, but persons in State uniforms shall act according to service regulations.
The procedures by which the music and recordings of the National Anthem of Latvia are duplicated shall be determined by the Cabinet.
Persons shall be held liable in accordance with the law regarding the non-observance of the provisions of this Law, as well as for demonstrating disrespect to the National Anthem of Latvia.
With the coming into force of this Law, the Law On the National Anthem of the Republic of Latvia (Latvijas Republikas Saeimas un Ministru Kabineta Ziņotājs, 1991, No.5/6) is repealed.
This Law has been adopted by the Saeima on 19 February 1998.
President G. Ulmanis
Rīga, 5 March 1998
1 The Parliament of the Republic of Latvia