The Saeima1 has adopted and
On the National Anthem of Latvia
The National Anthem of Latvia is one of the State symbols of the Republic of Latvia.
The National Anthem of Latvia - the nation's solemn prayer is:
"Dievs, svētī Latviju,
Mūs' dārgo tēviju,
Svētī jel Latviju,
Ak, svētī jel to!
Kur latvju meitas zied,
Kur latvju dēli dzied,
Laid mums tur laimē diet,
(1) The National Anthem of Latvia shall be performed in the Latvian language with the music composed by Kārlis Baumanis (in the Annex - the music). The anthem may be played as an instrumental performance.
(2) When the National Anthem of Latvia is performed, its text and music must conform to the text and music that has been approved by this Law.
(1) It shall be mandatory to perform the National Anthem of Latvia:
1) when raising the national flag of Latvia during events organised by State and local government institutions;
2) when opening ceremonial events which are dedicated to holidays and commemoration days of the Republic of Latvia as prescribed by law;
3) when waiting for and accompanying other state and government leaders who have arrived in Latvia on an official visit;
4) daily, when commencing transmission of State television and radio programmes.
(2) The National Anthem of Latvia may also be performed during other public events, to provide solemn circumstances.
During the performance of the National Anthem of Latvia at public events the persons present shall be upstanding, males shall remove their hats, but persons in State uniforms shall act according to service regulations.
The procedures by which the music and recordings of the National Anthem of Latvia are duplicated shall be determined by the Cabinet.
For showing gross disrespect for the National Anthem of Latvia, a fine of up to one hundred and forty units of fine shall be imposed.
[30 May 2019 / The new wording of the Section shall come into force on 1 July 2020. See Paragraph 2 of Transitional Provisions]
Administrative offence proceedings for the offence referred to in Section 7 of this Law shall be conducted by the State Police, municipal police, the administrative commission or sub-commission of a local government.
[30 May 2019 / Section shall come into force on 1 July 2020. See Paragraph 2 of Transitional Provisions]
[30 May 2019]
1. With the coming into force of this Law, the law On the National Anthem of the Republic of Latvia (Latvijas PSR Augstākās Padomes un Valdības Ziņotājs, 1990, No. 9; Latvijas Republikas Augstākās Padomes un Valdības Ziņotājs, 1991, No. 5/6) is repealed.
[30 May 2019]
2. Amendments to Section 7 of this Law regarding the new wording thereof and Section 8 shall come into force concurrently with the Law on Administrative Liability.
[30 May 2019]
The Law has been adopted by the Saeima on 19 February 1998.
President G. Ulmanis
Rīga, 5 March 1998
1 The Parliament of the Republic of Latvia
Translation © 2021 Valsts valodas centrs (State Language Centre)
Title: Par Latvijas valsts himnu Status: