Likumi.lv is a website of legal acts that ensures free access to systematised (consolidated) legal acts of the Republic of Latvia.
Likumi.lv was created in 2001 so that everyone could exercise his or her rights stipulated in Section 90 of the Constitution of the Republic of Latvia: "Everyone has the right to know about his or her rights." The latest information about changes in legal acts is available on the website, maintained and developed by the official publisher "Latvijas Vēstnesis".
Its operation is regulated by the Law on Official Publications and Legal Information.
The legal acts are systematised according to the Cabinet Regulation No. 101 of 18 February 2014 "Regulations Regarding Recording of International Treaties and Systematisation of Legal Acts".
- The most recent legal acts are published on the website on the day of their proclamation in the official gazette "Latvijas Vēstnesis".
- The legal acts are supplemented with the most recent amendments and are available in the wording currently in force. In addition, an access to historic and future wordings is provided on the website.
- A validity status is indicated for legal acts.
- Related documents, incl. links to translations in English, are indicated for legal acts.
- Legal acts are provided with a list of contents.
- The website offers wide search options (advanced search, fast search, lists of legislation by type (chronological and alphabetical), field and number of views).
- Registered users are offered additional options (to make their lists of legal acts, to add notes to legal acts, to receive notifications about changes of particular laws and regulations (a new amendment has been published, status has been changed)).
- Various legal acts have been translated into English. The translations are done by the State Language Centre.
- The systematisation of international treaties is performed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Latvia.
The entire content of Likumi.lv is informative, and in case of differences in interpretation the official publication shall prevail.