The translation of this document is outdated.
Translation validity: 01.01.2016.–09.01.2020.
Amendments not included: 07.01.2020.
Regulation Regarding Hygiene Requirements for the Provision of Tattooing and Piercing Services and Special Requirements for the Tattooing Products
Issued in accordance with
I. General Provisions
1. This Regulation prescribes:
1.1. hygiene requirements for tattooing, including micro-pigmentation, permanent make-up, scarification and piercing services (hereinafter - services), providers thereof, the premises for provision of such services, equipment of the premises and work accessories;
1.2. special requirements for tattooing products, and also procedures for the supervision and control thereof.
2. The following terms are used in this Regulation:
2.1. tattooing - injection of tattooing product into human skin, thus creating a consistent drawing;
2.2. micro-pigmentation and permanent make-up - injection of micro-dose of tattooing product into the upper layer of human skin, thus creating a temporary consistent drawing;
2.3. scarification - process, during which scars are being created on the body by cutting or burning skin, and also by injecting tattooing product into the cut wounds;
2.4. piercing - perforation of skin, mucous membrane, muscle or gristle to create an opening for the insertion of jewellery;
2.5. tattooing product - substance or mixture intended for tattooing, scarification, creation of permanent make-up or micro-pigmentation;
2.6. to make available on the market - to supply the product for distribution, consumption or use in the European Union market for commercial activities in return for payment or for free;
2.7. to place on the market - to make available a product on the European Union market for the first time;
2.8. manufacturer - a natural or legal person who manufactures a product or upon whose assignment a product is designed or manufactured, and places on the market such product under his or her name or trademark.
3. Responsibility for meeting these requirements lies with the economic operator, who offers services (hereinafter - the service provider), or the person placing the tattooing product on the market or making it available on the market.
4. Prior to the commencement of provision of services, a service provider shall notify the Health Inspectorate thereof, in accordance with the laws and regulations regarding the procedures by which the service provider notifies regarding commencement of economic activity related to the provision of beauty treatment services.
5. The implementation of this Regulation shall be controlled by the Health Inspectorate. The implementation of the requirements laid down in Paragraph 14 of this Regulation shall be controlled by the Consumer Rights Protection Centre and the State limited liability company "Latvijas Proves birojs".
II. Requirements for Premises, Equipment Thereof and Work Accessories
6. The following shall be provided at the place for provision of services:
6.1. waiting room or place for a customer;
6.2. room for the provision of services;
6.3. room for the processing of work accessories or a place, where hand washstand with running cold and hot water, disinfection equipment and sterilisation devices are located;
6.4. toilet facilities, which is intended also for customers;
6.5. cleaning equipment storage facility.
7. Centralised or autonomous cold and hot water supply, as well as household sewerage system shall be provided on the premises.
8. Requirements for the micro-climate, venting and lighting of the work premises, auxiliary premises for personnel and first aid kit shall be provided in accordance with the laws and regulations regarding labour protection requirements in the workplaces.
9. Easy care and disinfectable materials shall be used for the finish of premises, equipment and work surfaces.
10. Following items shall be located in the premises for the provision of services:
10.1. couch or chair with waterproof, non-absorbent, easy cleanable material;
10.2. table for the work accessories;
10.3. closet for the storage of disinfected and sterile work accessories and work materials;
10.4. closet for the clean laundry;
10.5. litter bin with a lid and pedal for the opening thereof;
10.6. hand washstand, equipped with liquid soap, disinfectant and single-use hand drying items.
11. Separate set of towels or napkins, single-use towels or single-use materials shall be used for the service of each customer.
12. Only sterile and single-use needles shall be used for the provision of services.
13. At least two sets of work accessories prepared for work shall be located at the place for provision of services.
III. Requirements for Tattooing Products and Piercing Decorations and Procedures for the Marking Thereof
14. Decorations to be used for piercing shall be made of materials, which do not cause allergy and which are safe for human health.
15. Tattooing products shall be sterile. If tattooing products are intended for multiple use, they shall be packed in suitable container, which prevents contamination of the tattooing products. The service provider shall prevent contamination of a tattooing product during the use thereof.
16. Tattooing products shall be placed on the market, made available on the market or used for the provision of services, if information on quality contents thereof is available.
17. Only tattooing products, the marking of which contains the following information, shall be allowed to be placed on the market, made available on the market or used for the provision of services:
17.1. type of use of the tattooing product;
17.2. name and address of the manufacturer and the person, who is responsible for the placing of the tattooing product on the market;
17.3. minimum validity period of the tattooing product. Month and year or day, month and year shall be indicated;
17.4. list of ingredients of the tattooing product, indicating the conventional (trivial) name of the chemical substance or the name according to the nomenclature of the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) or other internationally recognised nomenclature, including name in the International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients (INCI) or the colorant index (CI) number;
17.5. batch number, code of the tattooing product or other signs, which allow for identification of the batch of the tattooing product;
17.6. conditions of use and warnings of the tattooing product;
17.7. indication on sterility.
18. If necessary, labelling of the tattooing product shall include storage arrangements to be complied with for the tattooing product to retain its specific properties and functions within the set minimum validity term.
19. If, due to practical reasons, information referred to in Sub-paragraphs 17.4 and 17.6 of this Regulation may not be indicated on the packaging, such information shall be included into the annotation, card, ribbon or label attached to the tattooing product.
IV. Procedures for the Maintenance, Disinfection and Sterilisation of the Premises, Equipment Thereof and Work Accessories
20. A service provider shall develop cleaning and disinfection plan of the premises, equipment thereof and work accessories.
21. The premises shall be cleaned up at least once a day applying washing and cleaning detergents. Toilet facilities shall be cleaned by applying correspondingly marked cleaning equipment.
22. Surfaces contaminated with blood or other biological liquids shall be treated with disinfectant complying with its instruction of use. Table of work accessories, as well as surface of couch or chair shall be disinfected after every customer.
23. Surface of couch or chair shall be covered with a single-use or linen sheet to be changed after servicing of every customer.
24. The used laundry shall be collected and stored in separate bags or containers with a lid until washing.
25. The used multiple use work accessories:
25.1. which come into contact with intact, undamaged skin (low infection risk), shall be cleaned and, if necessary, disinfected;
25.2. which come into contact with damaged skin or mucous membrane (medium infection risk), shall be cleaned and disinfected;
25.3. which come into contact with internal body tissues, blood or other biological liquids (high infection risk), shall be cleaned, disinfected and sterilised in compliance with the sterilisation mode laid down in the user manual of the sterilisation equipment and the manual of the tool manufacturer. The service provider shall choose the sterilisation methods providing destruction of viruses (hepatitis B, C, HIV) and bacteria (for example, tuberculosis). Disinfected and sterilised tools shall be stored separately from the used tools.
26. The service provider shall provide registration of disinfection and sterilisation of multiple use work accessories, indicating date, time, and also the person, who has performed disinfection and sterilisation of the work accessories. The service provider shall perform quality control of the steriliser operation in accordance with the requirements of the manufacturer of the steriliser, and provide documenting thereof.
27. The used single-use work accessories, which have come into contact with blood, other biological liquids or body tissues, shall be placed into a litter bin with a lid. Sharp single-use work accessories shall be put into a separate, relevant and easy accessible jab-resistant container with a lid immediately after use. The container shall be transferred for destruction, as soon as it has been filled up by three quarters. The service provider shall provide collection of waste in accordance with the laws and regulations regarding waste management.
V. Requirements for a Service Provider and Provision of Services
28. A service provider shall be responsible for safe and non-harmful to human health provision of services. The service provider shall have proper knowledge on hygiene requirements for the provision of tattooing and piercing services. Such knowledge shall be attested by a document of medical education, a document of vocational education or qualification corresponding to the provision of services, which has been recognised in Latvia in accordance with the laws and regulations regarding the regulated occupations and recognition of vocational qualification, or a certificate on acquisition of the training programme "Minimum hygiene requirements determined for the provision of tattooing and piercing services" (Annex 1).
29. A certificate on acquirement of the training programme "Minimum hygiene requirements determined for the provision of tattooing and piercing services" shall be issued by an institution, which is entitled to provide such training in accordance with Annex 2 of this Regulation. The certificate shall be valid for five years from the day of the issue thereof. The certificate shall be issued repeatedly after repeated acquisition of the training programme.
30. Provision of services to a customer with obvious signs of skin or mucous membrane diseases shall be prohibited, unless the customer shall produce a statement of a physician, according to which such a service may be received.
31. The service provider shall provide to the customer information on tattooing products of jewellery, care of the wound, periods of healing and possible complications, for example, allergic reactions, inflammations, bacterial and viral infections, and also on tattoo removal possibilities. Information on the used tattooing products (name, ingredients, batch numbers, manufacturer, importer) shall be provided in writing upon a request of a customer.
32. Prior to reception of services, the customer shall fill in the survey form, in which the service provider shall include at least the information referred to in Annex 3.
33. Prior to provision of services to a person, who is younger than 18, the service provider shall verify, whether the child has received a consent for the service from at least one of his/her parents or legal representative.
34. Prior to the procedure, the service provider shall clean the skin of the customer and disinfect it using skin disinfectant.
35. The service provider shall comply with personal hygiene requirements, use and change working clothes according to the specific character of the work to be performed. If contamination of clothes with blood or other biological liquids is possible, the service provider shall use a single-use apron.
36. The service provider shall wash and disinfect his or her hands prior to the provision of service and thereafter. If contact with traumatised skin, blood and other biological liquids is possible, single-use gloves shall be used for the servicing of each customer.
VI. Closing Provisions
37. This Regulation shall come into force on 1 January 2016.
38. Paragraphs 17, 18 and 19 of this Regulation shall come into force on 1 June 2016.
Informative Reference to the European Union Directive
Legal provisions have been coordinated with the European Commission and the Member States of the European Union in accordance with the Directive 98/34/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 June 1998 laying down a procedure for the provision of information in the field of technical standards and regulations.
Prime Minister Laimdota Straujuma
Minister for Health Guntis Belēvičs
Training programme "Minimum hygiene requirements determined for the provision of tattooing and piercing services"
Minister for Health Guntis Belēvičs
Certificate for the acquisition of the training programme "Minimum hygiene requirements determined for the provision of tattooing and piercing services"
Certificate has been issued pursuant to the Cabinet Regulation No. 182 of 14 April 2015 "Regulation Regarding Hygiene Requirements for the Provision of Tattooing and Piercing Services and Special Requirements for the Tattooing Products".
Minister for Health Guntis Belēvičs
Customer Survey Form
If you have been diagnosed any of the following diseases, please, consult a physician specialist regarding possibility of provision of the service.
Please, indicate, if:
Minister for Health Guntis Belēvičs
Translation © 2017 Valsts valodas centrs (State Language Centre)
Title: Noteikumi par higiēnas prasībām tetovēšanas un pīrsinga pakalpojumu sniegšanai un speciālajām .. Status: