The translation of this document is outdated.
Translation validity: 01.01.2013.–31.12.2013.
Amendments not included: 29.10.2013.
By-law of the Latvian National Centre for Culture
Issued pursuant to
I. General Provisions
1. The Latvian National Centre for Culture (hereinafter - Centre) is a direct administration institution supervised by the Minister for Culture. The Minister for Culture shall implement the supervision with the intermediation of the Ministry of Culture.
2. The purpose of operation of the Centre is to implement the national policy in the field of cultural and creative industry education, intangible cultural heritage, the traditions of the Song and Dance Celebration and the fields of folk art related thereto.
II. Functions, Tasks and Rights of the Centre
3. The Centre shall have the following functions:
3.1. to implement the education policy of culture and creative industry, promoting the development of cultural and creative industry education;
3.2. to co-ordinate the preservation and development of intangible cultural heritage of Latvia;
3.3. to promote the diversity and continuity of the folk art process and to stimulate active public participation in the creation of cultural values;
3.4. to promote the preservation of the tradition of the Song and Dance Celebration as the Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity; and
3.5. to perform other functions laid down in the laws and regulations.
4. To ensure the performance of the functions, the Centre shall carry out the following tasks:
4.1. draw up a strategy for the development of fields within the competence of the Centre according to the national cultural policy and organise implementation thereof;
4.2. provide proposals according to the competence for the drawing up of development planning documents and legal acts;
4.3. compile and analyse statistical data and provide the necessary information according to the functions and competence of the Centre;
4.4. plan and organise the implementation of festivals, competitions, exhibitions, as well as other events of State significance in the fields within the competence of the Centre;
4.5. participate in the creation and implementation of co-operation programmes and projects of State significance and international co-operation programmes and projects in the fields within the competence of the Centre;
4.6. carry out methodological work according to the competence, provide organisational support, informative support and support of another kind to State and local government institutions, non-governmental organisations and private individuals;
4.7. ensure the preparation and implementation of the Nationwide Latvian Song and Dance Celebration and the continuity of the tradition in the time period between the Song and Dance Celebrations;
4.8. co-ordinate the co-operation between the State and local government institutions, non-governmental organisations and private individuals involved in the preservation of the tradition of Song and Dance Celebration;
4.9. according to the criteria for division calculate the amount of State earmarked grant for a particular local government for work remuneration of group leaders and payment of social tax and perform transferring thereof;
4.10. co-ordinate and organise projects of further education and life-long education for specialists and teachers in the field of culture;
4.11. co-ordinate drawing up of the study materials necessary for secondary and vocationally oriented educational programmes in art, music and dance;
4.12. ensure the drawing up and expert-examination of draft professional standards of the sector in co-operation with the Ministry of Education and Science and sectoral professional organisations;
4.13. draw up a professional qualification examination programme for professional qualification examinations in secondary education programmes in art, music and dance, co-ordinate the time and schedule for undertaking professional qualification examinations and the composition of the committee for vocational secondary education programmes under the subordination of the Ministry of Culture;
4.14. co-ordinate the composition of the committee of a professional qualification examination and the programme of a professional qualification examination for professional qualification examinations in vocational secondary education programmes in art, music and dance which are implemented by educational institutions of other founders;
4.15. prepare, update and lodge a list to the State Service of Education Quality for accreditation of vocational secondary education institutions and programmes in art, music and dance, as well as for accreditation of vocational oriented educational institutions in art, music and dance;
4.16. supervise the implementation quality of educational programmes in vocational secondary and vocationally oriented educational institutions in art, music and dance;
4.17. provide proposals to the Ministry of Culture regarding the number of places financed by the State for licensed vocational education programmes in art, music and dance of State, local government and private vocational education institutions;
4.18. compile and evaluate applications for the receipt of a State grant, which have been submitted to the Ministry of Culture by local government and private vocational education institutions, which are implementing vocationally oriented educational programmes in art, music and dance;
4.19. ensure examination of tariffication of work remuneration of teachers submitted to the Ministry of Culture for co-ordination;
4.20. perform other tasks laid down in the laws and regulations.
5. The Centre has the following rights:
5.1. to request and receive information necessary for the fulfilment of the functions of the Centre from State and local government institutions, as well as from private individuals in accordance with the procedures laid down in the laws and regulations;
5.2. to collect a fee for services provided;
5.3. to receive donations, gifts, foreign financial assistance, to participate in project tenders for attraction of financial resources;
5.4. to establish committees, councils and work groups for the carrying out of the tasks within the competence of the Centre.
III. Administration of the Centre
6. The work of the Centre shall be managed by the Director of the Centre. The Director of the Centre shall be appointed to the position and released from the position by the Minister for Culture.
7. The Director of the Centre may have deputy directors. Deputy directors of the Centre shall be appointed to the position and released from the position, their competence and liability shall be determined by the Director of the Centre.
IV. Ensuring the Lawfulness of Activities of the Centre and the Provision of Reports
8. Administrative acts issued by, and actual action of, employees of the Centre may be contested by lodging a relevant submission to the Director of the Centre. The decision of the Director of the Centre may be appealed in court.
9. The administrative acts issued by, and actual action of, the Director of the Centre (except the cases referred to in Paragraph 8 of this Regulation) may be contested to the Ministry of Culture. The decision issued by the Ministry of Culture may be appealed in court.
10. The Centre shall provide a report on the fulfilment of functions and utilisation of the financial resources of the Centre to the Ministry of Culture not less than once a year. Upon request of the Ministry of Culture, the Centre shall provide information regarding the activities of the Centre and the utilisation of financial resources.
V. Closing Provisions
11. Cabinet Regulation No. 1129 of 14 December 2010, By-law of the Centre for Cultural Education and Intangible Heritage (Latvijas Vēstnesis, 2010, No. 204), is repealed.
12. The Centre is the successor of the functions, rights, liabilities, claims, property entered in the balance sheet, record-keeping and archives of the Centre for Cultural Education and Intangible Heritage.
13. This Regulation shall come into force on 1 January 2013.
Prime Minister V. Dombrovskis
Minister for Culture Ž. Jaunzeme-Grende
Translation © 2014 Valsts valodas centrs (State Language Centre)