The translation of this document is outdated.
Translation validity: 12.12.2012.–13.12.2018.
Amendments not included: 11.12.2018.
Procedures for Technical Supervision of Liquefied Petroleum Gas Cylinder Filling Stations
Issued pursuant to
1. General Provisions
1. This Regulation prescribe the requirements to be observed by maintaining and using liquefied petroleum gas cylinder filling stations (hereinafter - the station), where liquefied petroleum gas cylinders (hereinafter - the cylinders) are filled, in order not to pose a threat to human life, health and environment, and also prescribes the procedures for technical supervision of such equipment.
2. A station is a complex of equipment which consists of technological devices which ensure:
2.1. storage of refilling liquefied petroleum gas in conformity with the laws and regulations in the field of technical supervision of pressure equipment before filling thereof in cylinders;
2.2. inspection, examination and sorting of cylinders;
2.3. labelling and filling of cylinders;
2.4. movement and storage of cylinders.
3. An accredited body is entitled to carry out technical examinations of stations regarding which a notification has been published by the Ministry of Economics in the newspaper Latvijas Vēstnesis [the official Gazette of the government of the Republic of Latvia] (hereinafter - the inspection body), if it:
3.1. has been accredited by the Latvian National Accreditation Bureau of the limited liability company "Standardisation, Accreditation and Metrology Centre" or in another accreditation body of the European Union Member State in conformity with the criteria laid down in the standard LVS EN ISO/IEC 17020:2005 General criteria for the operation of various types of bodies performing inspection;
3.2. has insured the civil liability thereof in such an amount as to cover the possible losses, which may be caused due to a faulty or false opinion and which have been calculated in the risk assessment of the activity area of the body in co-operation with an insurer chosen by the body.
4. The Latvian National Accreditation Bureau of the limited liability company "Standardisation, Accreditation and Metrology Centre" shall evaluate and examine on a regular basis the conformity of the inspection body with the requirements abovementioned in Paragraph 3 of this Regulation.
5. The Ministry of Economics, in co-operation with the relevant technical committee for standardisation, shall recommend to the State limited liability company "Standardisation, Accreditation and Metrology Centre" a list of standards to be adapted and applied in relation to this Regulation.
2. Maintenance of Stations
6. The layout of the station, appropriate and safe use, servicing and technical supervision in accordance with the instructions for use laid down in this chapter, applicable standards and requirements laid down in this Regulation shall be ensured by the possessor of the station (hereinafter - the possessor).
7. The possessor shall ensure that the following documentation in the official language is present in each station:
7.1. a technical passport of the station (Annex 1) that is issued by the inspection body, when registering or re-registering the station in the register of dangerous equipment in accordance with the laws and regulations regarding registration of dangerous equipment;
7.2. instructions for use of the station in which at least the following information shall be indicated:
7.2.1. procedures for use of technological equipment of the station under the intended conditions of use and emergency situations;
7.2.2. procedures for the necessary maintenance and technical supervision of technological equipment, as well as examinations that are carried out by the user;
7.2.3. the diagrams of the technological equipment of the station, in which the layout of gas tanks, pipes, cylinder filling installations and the closing fittings have been indicated;
7.2.4. diagram and description of the technological process of the circulation of cylinders brought in the station, in which the actions with cylinders are indicated starting from the acceptance thereof at the station until bringing out from the station (Annex 2);
7.2.5. electrical diagrams, in which electrical energy consumers and an electric line layout are indicated;
7.3. electronic recording system or log-book of cylinders to be refilled at the station (hereinafter - recording log-book), in which the date of a particular cylinder to be refilled, identification number and capacity of the cylinder, the amount of refillable gas (kg/cylinder) and labelling are indicated in accordance with the laws and regulations regarding classification of chemical substances and chemical products, procedures for labelling and packing, and also data regarding actions carried out in Paragraph 37 of this Regulation;
7.4. operation log-books of the technological equipment of the station, in which the data regarding operation of technological equipment are indicated in accordance with the requirements of this Regulation.
8. The possessor shall ensure that the instructions for use, recording log-book and operation log-books of the equipment of the station are available for the servicing personnel.
9. The possessor is prohibited to use the station, if:
9.1. the documents abovementioned in Paragraph 7 of this Regulation are not present at the station or they are not maintained in accordance with the requirements of this Regulation;
9.2. technical examination have not been carried out within time periods and in accordance with the procedures laid down in this Regulation;
9.3. a specialist of the relevant qualification, which is responsible for the technical condition of the station, correct use and maintenance thereof, (hereinafter - the responsible specialist), and also trained personnel are not present at the station;
9.4. human life, health, property or the environment is endangered due to damages of technological equipment of the station.
10. The possessor shall maintain the station in working order and:
10.1. ensure sufficient number of personnel for servicing of the station, which is trained and instructed in accordance with the laws and regulations regarding labour protection when using work equipment, and also regarding inspection, assessment, filling of cylinders and other actions in accordance with the requirements of the applicable standards taking into account the construction of cylinders and intended conditions of use;
10.2. develop instructions for maintenance of technological equipment and work performance instructions, issue them to servicing personnel, and also develop, approve and update operating instruction of the servicing personnel;
10.3. appoint a responsible specialist in writing;
10.4. present the documents abovementioned in Paragraph 7 of this Regulation to the officials of the Consumer Rights Protection Centre and representatives of inspection bodies;
10.5. draw up an order (permit) for works of increased danger;
10.6. ensure timely performance of technical examinations of the station in accordance with Chapter 5 of this Regulation;
10.7. notify the Consumer Rights Protection Centre regarding incidents or accidents that have occurred using the station.
11. The possessor shall ensure that cylinders, which are purchased from a person who is not an employee trained by the possessor, or from a sub-company for transport and change of cylinders, are supplied with instructions for delivery, change and use. The instructions shall indicate at least the following information:
11.1. requirements for transportation of cylinders;
11.2. requirements for the premises where cylinders are installed;
11.3. requirements for equipment to which a cylinder is connected;
11.4. requirements for connection and disconnection of the cylinder;
11.5. requirements for use of the cylinder, especially indicating the prohibited activities and action in the case of emergency if gas leakage is detected.
12. The possessor shall ensure that the instructions abovementioned in Paragraph 11 of this Regulation contain all warnings regarding threats that may be caused by a non-trained person when transporting, connecting and using a cylinder, and also regarding action for the rectification of the relevant threats.
13. The possessor shall ensure the responsible specialist with a technical passport, instructions for use of the station, operation log-books of technological equipment of the station, labour safety instructions of the servicing personnel and recording log-books.
14. A responsible specialist shall have the following duties:
14.1. to maintain technological equipment and ventilation systems of the station in appropriate technical condition;
14.2. to ensure appropriate maintenance and updating of the documentation abovementioned in Paragraph 13 of this Regulation;
14.3. to supervise that the qualification of the servicing personnel complies with the requirements laid down in Sub-paragraph 11.1 of this Regulation;
14.4. to prepare the station for technical inspections laid down in this Regulation and be present in the abovementioned inspections;
14.5. if inadmissible defect or non-conformity of equipment with the instructions for use of the station laid down in Sub-paragraph 7.2 of this Regulation are detected using technological equipment of the station, to suspend the operation of the relevant equipment and to rectify the non-conformity;
14.6. to instruct the servicing personnel at the workplace and organise repeated and exceptional examinations of knowledge;
14.7. to indicate any modifications in the layout of tanks, pipes, fittings and equipment in the technological diagram of the technological equipment of a station.
15. The servicing personnel of a station shall have the following duties:
15.1. in accordance with the operating instructions and orders and indications of the responsible specialist to observe all labour safety, fire safety and environmental protection requirements during the use of the station;
15.2. to indicate data in the recording log-book regarding filling of cylinders in accordance with Sub-paragraph 7.3 of this Regulation;
15.3. to indicate data in the operation log-books of the equipment regarding operation of such equipment;
15.4. to interrupt operation of the station and to notify the responsible specialist in accordance with the set out procedures, if further use of the station endangers human life, health, property or the environment, and also in the following cases:
15.4.1. incident or accident has occurred;
15.4.2. fire has emerged or any other emergency situation has occurred that endangers the use of the station;
15.4.3. in other cases which are intended in the operating instructions of the servicing personnel.
3. Essential Safety Requirements
3.1. Requirements for the Station
16. The station and separate technological equipment thereof shall comply with the requirements of the laws and regulations in the field of environmental protection, labour protection, civil defence, fire safety and technical supervision of dangerous equipment during all period of use thereof.
17. Technological diagrams of the equipment abovementioned in Sub-paragraph 7.2.3 of this Regulation shall be placed at the entrance in the station.
18. Closing fittings, valves and devices of equipment shall be located in easily accessible places and they shall be identified in accordance with technological diagrams of the equipments abovementioned in Sub-paragraph 7.2.3 of this Regulation.
19. Each station shall be supplied with gas concentration sensors and automatic disconnection devices of gas supply that allow to identify gas leakage points where threats of environmental pollution, explosion hazard or intoxication of persons during actions related to cylinder filling may be caused.
20. Explosion danger and fire hazard category and class shall be determined for each room or equipment of the station depending on the nature and peculiarities of technological processes in conformity with the requirements of the laws and regulations regarding labour protection in explosive environment, regarding fire safety, and also requirements of the regulations for construction of electrical installations.
21. Cylinder filling shall be permissible in a closed room only in the case when the room is equipped with the relevant inflow and outflow ventilation and emergency ventilation.
22. A passport shall be drawn up for the ventilation system of closed premises of the station. A system diagram shall be shown in the passport and productiveness of the ventilator or ventilation devices, capacity, type of the electric motor and other data shall be indicated therein.
23. In explosive and inflammable premises the general ventilation system shall be started 15 minutes before starting the technological equipment.
24. If a cylinder filling takes place in a closed room, the device which continuously controls gas escape in the air shall be installed therein. If gas concentration in the air is 1/5 of the lower gas ignition level, gas supply shall be disconnected and emergency ventilation switches on automatically.
25. The station premises and equipment shall be equipped with information and warning signs in conformity with the requirements of the laws and regulations in the field of labour protection.
26. If the operation of the station pumps and compressors is not automated, continuous supervision of the operation thereof shall be ensured.
27. A servicing person shall indicate the data regarding operating modes of the station pumps and compressors, number of operating hours, damages and errors detected in the maintenance log-book of this equipment.
28. The electrical equipment and wiring, layout and technical condition shall comply with the laws and regulations regarding electrical safety of equipment and equipment and protective systems to be used in explosive environment. It shall be clearly indicated on the power and lighting cable switches which equipment or installation the relevant switch turns on or off. Power supply system of the station shall not cause threats to the cylinder filling procedures.
29. The technological equipment of a station shall be fitted with an earthing grid for the protection of the electrical equipment from static electricity, and also from a direct or secondary exposure to lightning. All the earthing connections not easily accessible shall be welded. The grid leak resistance may not exceed the following values: for electrical equipment - 4 ohms, for the protection from static electricity - 10 ohms and for the protection from lightning - 25 ohms. If the grids are joined, their leak resistance may not exceed the smallest of leak resistances of individual grids.
30. Place at the pressure equipment complex where gas is received from road tankers before filling shall be fitted with earthing grid output for the earthing of road tankers.
31. Only verified weight measuring instruments shall be used for cylinder filling.
32. Unloading of gas residue and overfilled cylinders shall be ensured in tanks that are located not closer than three meters from the gas filling point.
33. The procedures shall be developed in the station and there shall be the necessary means and equipment for sealing of gas cylinder valves.
3.2. Cylinder Circulation Requirements
34. The circulation of cylinders brought in the station shall be organised in conformity with the technological process of the circulation of cylinders laid down in Sub-paragraph 7.2.4 of this Regulation.
35. Each action with cylinders in conformity with the construction thereof shall be carried out in accordance with the applicable standards.
35.1 Stations shall fill only such cylinders which conform with the requirements of the laws and regulations regarding transportable pressure equipment.
[4 December 2012]
35.2 Station shall ensure that only the cylinders under possession thereof are filled and placed on the market.
[4 December 2012/ Paragraph shall come into force from 1 January 2014]
35.3 Station may fill cylinders that are not under possession thereof if they after filling are transferred to the actual holder of the cylinders who has transferred the cylinder for filling. The possessor shall ensure that the filled cylinder is identifiable.
[4 December 2012/ Paragraph shall come into force from 1 January 2014]
36. The possessor shall ensure that only such cylinders are put into circulation after filling:
36.1. on which a closing nut of closing device is screwed and closing device is sealed (thermo-film). For cylinders, which have no protective collar of the closing device, a protective cover of the closing device shall be screwed on;
36.2. [27 September 2011];
36.3. in which the gas to be filled complies with the specification laid down by the manufacturers of particular cylinders.
37. Cylinders on which there is no mark indicating inspection performed in accordance with the laws and regulations regarding transportable pressure equipment, and also cylinders and closing devices thereof the technical state and paint of which fail to comply with the requirements of the applicable standards, shall be placed separately.
38. Data of the activities carried out in Paragraph 37 of this Regulation shall be indicated in the recording log-book.
39. The cylinders abovementioned in Paragraph 37 of this Regulation are prohibited to be filled. The possessor shall be liable regarding due utilisation thereof or organisation of technical maintenance in accordance with the requirements of the applicable standards.
40. When filling gas cylinders, the requirements laid down in the applicable standards shall be taken into account. Not more than 85% of geometric capacity of cylinders may be filled up. The following standards shall be taken into account for the determination of the amount of propane and butane gas:
41. For the control of gas amount with weighing method the scales with the following weighing precision shall be used:
41.1. for a cylinder of 1 litre - not more than 10 grams;
41.2. for a cylinder of 5 litres - not more than 20 grams;
41.3. for a cylinder of 27 litres - not more than 50 grams.
42. Precision of control scales shall be checked with weight standard at the beginning of each shift.
43. If a tank or cylinder is overloaded, it is prohibited to let out gas residue in the atmosphere.
44. In a gas filling room it is allowed to be as many cylinders which can be filled by all filling installations during one hour. The placement of cylinders in aisles are inadmissible.
4. Requirements for Station Repair and Reconstruction
45. Station repair shall be replacement of tanks for gas to be stored and pipeline equipment, surface technological pipelines, gas filling installations and equipment thereof, without changing construction and technical specifications thereof, and also performance of welding works, if it is not related to the actions laid down in Paragraph 46 of this Regulation (hereinafter - repair).
46. Station reconstruction shall be:
46.1. replacement of tanks for gas to be stored with other tanks or change of placement thereof;
46.2. change of construction of tanks for gas to be stored or number of sections thereof;
46.3. change of gas filling installation against installation of other performance or construction of increase or decrease of gas filling installations;
46.4. change of underground technological pipelines of the station;
46.5. changes in the diagram of technological equipment of the station laid down in Sub-paragraph 7.2.3 of this Regulation;
46.6. changes in the diagram of technological process of the circulation of cylinders brought in the station laid down in Sub-paragraph 7.2.4 of this Regulation.
47. Repairing or reconstruction the station, the requirements laid down in Chapter 3 of this Regulation shall be taken into account.
48. Elements of the tanks and pipelines of the station which ensure filling of cylinders may be welded only by welders who have certified the competence thereof for the performance of such works in accordance with the requirements laid down in the laws and regulations regarding professional qualification certification of metal inert gas welders and defectoscopy experts.
49. Station tanks and elements of pipelines which ensure filling of cylinders and welded joints thereof shall be inspected in conformity with applicable standards by non-destructive control methods. Inspection shall be carried out by bodies which are accredited in accordance with the laws and regulations regarding assessment, accreditation and supervision of conformity assessment bodies.
50. Station repair or reconstruction may be commenced only after the possessor has issued a written order (permit) abovementioned in Sub-paragraph 10.5 of this Regulation.
51. Repair and reconstruction works involving using an open flame may be carried out by observing the laws and regulations regarding fire safety.
5. Technical Inspections of Stations
52. An inspection body shall carry out technical inspection of the station laid down in Paragraph 53 of this Regulation upon request of the possessor or authorised representative thereof on the basis of the contract in accordance with the applicable standards and requirements laid down in this Chapter, and also shall register the station in the register of dangerous equipment in accordance with the laws and regulations regarding registration of dangerous equipment.
53. Technical inspections of the station shall be as follows:
53.1. a first-time technical inspection that is carried out before the registration of the station in the register of dangerous equipment;
53.2. current technical inspections that are carried out periodically during use of the station;
53.3. exceptional technical inspections that are carried out in the cases laid down in Paragraph 56 of this Regulation.
54. An inspection body shall inspect the following during a first-time technical examination of the station:
54.1. the conformity of technological equipment and layout with the diagrams laid down in Sub-paragraph 7.2.3 of this Regulation and laws and regulations regarding transportable pressure equipment and technical supervision of pressure equipment complex, including:
54.1.1. external examination of gas storage tanks, the equipment thereof and pipe connection points and a functional inspection of the tank equipment operation;
54.1.2. external examination of gas filling installations and functional inspection of operation (an evaluation of the assemblage of gas filling installations, the condition of wiring, the internal hermeticity of pipes and the equipment operation);
54.1.3. a functional inspection of the operation of gas leak detector and alarm system;
54.1.4. an examination of the earthing and electrical insulation (measurements of leak resistance and bypass resistance of the earthing devices for tanks, gas filling installations, the pump engines thereof, lightning protection devices, and also insulation resistance measurements for the pump engines and starters of gas filling installations, the heating and lighting installations, power supply cables and equipment, which protect the supply chain against short-circuit and overload);
54.2. the conformity of technological process of the circulation of cylinders brought in the station with the diagram laid down in Sub-paragraph 7.2.4 of this Regulation, instructions for use and requirements of the applicable standards;
54.3. the procedures for recording of cylinders in accordance with the requirements of this Regulation.
55. During the entire use of a station, a possessor shall ensure that a current technical inspection is carried out not less than 12 months. An inspection body shall inspect the following during a current technical examination:
55.1. the conformity of technological equipment and layout of the station with the diagrams laid down in Sub-paragraph 7.2.3 of this Regulation, including carrying out:
55.1.1. an external inspection of gas storage tanks, the equipment thereof and pipe connection points;
55.1.2. an external inspection of gas filling installations;
55.1.3. a functional inspection of the operation of gas leak detector and alarm system;
55.1.4. inspections of the earthing (measurements of the earthing equipment leak and bypass resistance);
55.2. the conformity of technological process of the circulation of cylinders brought in the station with the diagram laid down in Sub-paragraph 7.2.4 of this Regulation and requirements of the applicable standards;
55.3. the procedures for recording of cylinders in accordance with the requirements of this Regulation.
56. An exceptional inspection of a station shall be performed:
56.1. after reconstruction of the station;
56.2. upon a justified written request of the official of the Consumer Rights Protection Centre.
57. Before commencing reconstruction works of a station, a possessor of the station shall co-ordinate with an inspection body the technology and also amount and procedures for the execution of the relevant works.
58. The amount of an exceptional inspection upon a justified written request of the official of the Consumer Rights Protection Centre shall be determined by the Consumer Rights Protection Centre.
59. An inspection body shall draw up an inspection report in two copies regarding the technical inspection performed and shall make an entry in the register of dangerous equipment. One copy of the inspection report shall be issued to the possessor, the second copy shall be kept for not less than 10 years after the day of the inspection.
60. If the station conforms with the requirements of this Regulation, an inspection body shall attach an inspection certificate of dangerous equipment in conformity with the laws and regulations regarding inspection certificate of dangerous equipment at the station in a well visible place.
61. If an inspection body determines non-conformity of the station to the requirements of this Regulation, the possessor of the station shall stop operation of the station, rectify the non-conformity and invite the inspection body to perform a repeated inspection. The amount of repeated inspection shall be determined by the inspection body.
62. If the station does not conform to the requirements of this Regulation and endangers human life, health, property or the environment, an inspection body shall warn the responsible specialist of the station regarding the non-conformities, register this fact in the register of dangerous equipment and notify the Consumer Rights Protection Centre regarding the non-conformity, and also to the State Environment Inspection if the environment is endangered, and the State Fire-Fighting and Rescue Service if a high risk of fire has been determined.
6. State Surveillance and Control of Stations
63. The Consumer Rights Protection Centre shall carry out State surveillance and control whether stations are used in conformity with the requirements of this Regulation.
63.1 The Consumer Rights Protection Centre shall publish and update the list of gas cylinder filling stations registered in the register of dangerous equipment in accordance with the laid down procedures on the official website (www.ptac.gov.lv) of the Consumer Rights Protection Centre.
[4 December 2012]
64. The Consumer Rights Protection Centre, when carrying out the surveillance and control of the supervision of the station, shall prohibit to use the station and draw up the relevant statement, if it detects that:
64.1. the possessor has been administratively punished repeatedly during a year for the infringements of the laws and regulations regarding technical supervision of the station;
64.2. the technical inspection has not been carried out in accordance with the procedures laid down in Chapter 5 of this Regulation.
7. Closing Provisions
65. [27 September 2011]
65.1 Paragraphs 35.2 and 35.3 of this Regulation shall come into force from 1 January 2014.
[4 December 2012]
66. This Regulation shall come into force on 1 October 2009.
Prime Minister V. Dombrovskis
Minister for Economics A. Kampars
Sample Technical Passport of the Station
Note. * In accordance with Cabinet Regulation No. 107 of 12 March 2002, Procedures for Classification, Labelling and Packaging of Chemical Substances and Chemical Products.
Minister for Economics A. Kampars
Description of Technological Process of Circulation of Cylinders Brought in the Station
1. Procedures for acceptance of cylinders:
1.1. description of the place for unloading and storage, procedures for acceptance and storage of cylinders;
1.2. procedures for sorting of cylinders:
1.2.1. criteria for determination of the term of validity of cylinders;
1.2.2. actions with cylinders for which the term of validity has expired;
1.2.3. signs of damaged cylinders and further actions with them.
2. Procedures for filling of cylinders:
2.1. standards for filling;
2.2. safety measure during filling;
2.3. control and test of gas filled in a cylinder;
2.4. leakage test;
2.5. sealing of cylinder's valve and ensuring of quality during transportation until a customer.
3. Procedures for labelling of cylinders in accordance with Cabinet Regulation No. 107 of 12 March 2002, Procedures for Classification, Labelling and Packaging of Chemical Substances and Chemical Products.
4. Procedures for recording of filled cylinders.
5. Requirements laid down for cylinders to be put on the market (trade), appearance and accessories thereof:
5.2. guarantee voucher with information regarding station details, date and place of filling, gross weight of the cylinder and weight of liquefied gas;
5.3. safety stickers and informational stickers;
5.4. signs of belonging (signs of belonging of the company which the last filled the relevant cylinder shall be only on the cylinder);
5.5. closing cover;
5.6. a passport of the cylinder (including term of validity and number).
6. Preparing cylinders for transportation.
7. Drawing up bills of lading and accompanying documents on which identification numbers of the cylinders to be transported are indicated.
Minister for Economics A. Kampars
Translation © 2015 Valsts valodas centrs (State Language Centre)
Title: Sašķidrinātās naftas gāzes balonu uzpildes staciju tehniskās uzraudzības kārtība Status: