Procedures by which the Cabinet shall Co-ordinate with Local Governments Issues that Affect the Interests of Local Governments
Issued pursuant to Section 86,
1. This Regulation prescribes the procedures by which the Cabinet shall co-ordinate the following with local governments:
1.1. the amounts of grants and earmarked grants to be granted to local governments for the current financial year;
1.2. the procedures for equalisation of financial resources of local governments, unless specified by the law;
1.3. the sources of financing necessary for the performance of the functions specified in Section 8 of the Law On Local Governments;
1.4. draft laws and draft Cabinet regulations which concern issues related to the functioning of local governments;
1.5. other issues related to the functioning of local governments regarding which the Cabinet is reaching an agreement with local governments each year prior to the beginning of the financial year.
2. The Minister for Finance shall represent the Cabinet in co-ordinating the issues specified in Sub-paragraphs 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 of this Regulation.
3. The Minister of the relevant sector or his or her authorised official shall represent the Cabinet in co-ordinating the issues specified in Sub-paragraphs 1.4 and 1.5 of this Regulation.
4. The Latvian Association of Local and Regional Governments shall represent local governments in the co-ordinating process.
5. Each year by 1 March the Latvian Association of Local and Regional Governments shall submit to the ministries and the Minister for Regional Development and Local Government Matters (hereinafter - responsible minister) the list of officials who are authorised to participate in negotiations with the relevant ministries. The Latvian Association of Local and Regional Governments shall inform the relevant ministries, in due time, regarding changes in the referred to list.
6. Each year by 1 April the ministries shall agree with the Latvian Association of Local and Regional Governments on issues that need to be co-ordinated, and the terms for their consideration. The issues to be co-ordinated may be changed, if the parties agree thereto.
7. Each year by 1 August negotiations shall take place with the ministries and the Latvian Association of Local and Regional Governments.
8. The relevant ministry shall be responsible for the technical support in each stage of negotiations between the ministry and the Latvian Association of Local and Regional Governments.
9. The results of the negotiations between the ministries and the Latvian Association of Local and Regional Governments shall be drawn up as minutes. The co-ordinated issues and disputes shall be recorded in the minutes, respectively structuring the minutes according to the issues, regarding which an agreement has or has not been reached. Prior to signing of the draft minutes the relevant ministry shall send it to the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Justice and the responsible minister who within two weeks shall provide respective opinions regarding the compliance of the agreement with regulatory enactments, the opportunities to finance the implementation of the agreement from the State budget, as well as the impact thereof on the functioning of local governments.
10. The minutes referred to in Paragraph 9 of this Regulation shall be signed by the minister of the sector or his or her authorised official and the Chair of the Latvian Association of Local and Regional Governments or his or her authorised official.
11. Each year by 10 August the ministries shall submit the signed minutes to the responsible minister. Copies of the minutes shall be submitted to the Ministry of Finance. The Ministry of Finance shall, by 1 September, submit to the responsible minister the minutes of the agreement with the Latvian Association of Local and Regional Governments. The minutes shall be inserted (published) on the Internet home page of the Ministry of Regional Development and Local Government Matters within one month after every negotiation.
12. The minutes of negotiations between the Ministry of Finance and the Latvian Association of Local and Regional Governments shall be drafted, taking into account the agreement of the other ministries in financial issues, as well as in conformity with the requirements specified in the State Administrative Structure Law. Minutes after signing thereof shall be submitted to the Cabinet concurrently with the draft Law On the State Budget, and its further reviewing and sending to the Saeima shall take place in accordance with the requirements of Section 13 of the Law On Local Government Budgets, and the copies of the minutes shall be sent to other ministries for information.
13. The co-ordination of draft laws, draft regulations, as well as other issues with local governments and examination in Cabinet shall take place in accordance with Cabinet Regulation No. 111 of 12 March 2002, Rules of Order of the Cabinet.
Prime Minister I. Emsis
Minister for Regional Development
Translation © 2012 Valsts valodas centrs (State Language Centre)
Title: Kārtība, kādā Ministru kabinets saskaņo ar pašvaldībām jautājumus, kas skar pašvaldību intereses Status: