Aptauja ilgs līdz 23. oktobrim.
The Saeima 1 has adopted and
On the Termination of the Granting of the Status of a Non-citizen to Children
Section 1. The granting of the status of a non-citizen shall be terminated for children born after 1 January 2020.
Section 2. Such children born after 1 January 2020 shall be recognised as the citizens of Latvia who, in accordance with Section 8, Paragraph two of the law On the Status of those Former U.S.S.R. Citizens who do not have the Citizenship of Latvia or that of any Other State, would have the right to the status of a non-citizen, provided that the child's parents have not agreed on the granting of citizenship of another country to the child and that the child is not a citizen of another state.
Section 3. If the child has been born outside Latvia or one of his or her parents is a citizen of another state, the parents of the child shall submit the following to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (hereinafter - the Office) in order to recognise the child as a citizen of Latvia:
1) an application for granting the citizenship of Latvia, confirming that the child is not and has not been a citizen of any state;
2) a document which is issued by a competent authority of a foreign state determined by the Office and which confirms that the child is not and has not been a citizen of the relevant state.
Section 4. Upon determining the authority referred to in Section 3 of the Law, the Office shall take into account:
1) the legal links of the child to the relevant state;
2) the nationality of child's parents;
3) the state whose citizen the child might be.
The Law has been adopted by the Saeima on 17 October 2019.
President E. Levits
Rīga, 5 November 2019
1 The Parliament of the Republic of Latvia
Translation © 2021 Valsts valodas centrs (State Language Centre)
Title: Par nepilsoņa statusa piešķiršanas izbeigšanu bērniem Status: