By-law of the Latvian Geospatial Information Agency
Issued pursuant to
I. General Provisions
1. The Latvian Geospatial Information Agency (hereinafter - the Agency) is a State administration institution under the supervision of the Ministry of Defence.
2. The purpose of operation of the Agency is to implement the State policy in the field of geodesy, cartography and geospatial information.
II. Functions, Tasks and Competence of the Latvian Geospatial Information Agency
3. The Agency has the following functions:
3.1. to obtain, process and maintain geospatial basic data for military and civil needs and to ensure carrying out of other functions laid down in the Geospatial Information Law;
3.2. to create and develop the uniform geospatial basic data information system referred to in Section 12, Paragraph five, Section 17, Paragraph three and Section 18, Paragraph two of the Geospatial Information Law;
3.3. according to the competence thereof to co-operate with State and local government institutions, Member States of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, the authorities of the European Union and competent international organisations, as well as to provide geodetic, cartographic and geospatial information to them and to the society.
4. In order to implement the functions specified, the Agency shall:
4.1. supervise in accordance with the procedures laid down in laws and regulations and co-ordinate the creation and maintaining of the geodetic reference system;
4.2. create and maintain the data base of markers of the national geodetic network and is the manager of the State information system of the national geodetic network;
4.3. create and maintain the system of permanent global positioning base stations "Positioning System of Latvia" and is the manager of the system of permanent global positioning base stations "Positioning System of Latvia";
4.4. survey the state border - determine the state border line and geodetic coordinates of state border signs and draw up demarcation maps of the border;
4.5. obtain, prepare and update basic data of geodetic information, including:
4.5.1. images of the surface and remote sensing data of the Earth;
4.5.2. orthophotos of the framework of the scale line 1:50 000 - 1:2000;
4.5.3. digital terrain and surface models, which are used for drawing up of topographic plans and topographic maps within the framework of the scale line 1:250 000 - 1:10 000;
4.5.4. geospatial information, which is included in topographic plans and topographic maps within the framework of the scale line 1:250 000 - 1:2000;
4.5.5. basic data in order to provide support for the carrying out of the tasks of the National Armed Forces and their participation in the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation in accordance with the procedures stipulated by the Ministry of Defence;
4.6. make and maintain military geodetic and cartography products;
4.7. obtain, prepare and update information for aviation needs in accordance with the procedures laid down in laws and regulations, as well as by co-operation with the competent authorities in the field of aviation:
4.7.1. prepare air navigation maps for aviation needs;
4.7.2. create and maintain the data base of objects dangerous for the safety of aircraft flights;
4.8. create and maintain the data base of place names and is the manager of the information system of place names;
4.9. perform expert-examination of geodetic work results upon request of State administration and local government institutions, legal persons and natural persons in accordance with the procedures laid down in laws and regulations, as well as co-operate with the competent authorities in the field of aviation and perform expert-examination of carrying out geodetic work for aviation needs;
4.10. create and maintain a geospatial information infrastructure for preparation and maintaining of geodetic, cartographic and geospatial information, including create and maintain the information system of geospatial basic data;
4.11. create and maintain the archives of materials of geospatial information;
4.12. perform printing works;
4.13. prepare and provide the basic data of geospatial information referred to in the Geospatial Information Law and this Regulation, as well as provide services of geodetic, cartography and geospatial information upon request of State administration and local governments, legal persons and natural persons, including:
4.13.1. services in the field of geodesy, which include carrying out of geomagnetic, gravimetric, height and other geodetic measurements, as well as inspecting, putting into order and installing of geodetic markers;
4.13.2. preparation, processing and issuing of cartographic information, using the basic data of geospatial information;
4.13.3. other services of geodesy, cartography and geospatial information according to the competence;
4.14. according to the competence participate in State and international projects and organise them;
4.15. perform research in the field of geodesy, cartography and applied toponymy and publish the materials of the studies conducted by the Agency;
4.16. prepare and publish catalogues and dictionaries of geographic names and place names;
4.17. maintain and develop the infrastructure necessary for the work of the Agency;
4.18. according to the competence draft and submit proposals for improving laws and regulations;
4.19. perform other tasks.
5. According to the competence the Agency shall operate in the Association of European National Mapping, Cadastre and Land Registry Authorities EuroGeographics, the International Cartographic Association (ICA), the United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names (UNGEGN) and the International Association of Geodesy (IGA).
6. The Agency shall carry out the functions and tasks according to a medium-term operational strategy, action plan for the current year and budget.
7. The Agency has the following rights:
7.1. to request, in accordance with the procedures laid down in laws and regulations, and receive the information necessary for carrying out of functions and tasks from natural persons and legal persons;
7.2. according to the price list of public paid services to collect a fee for services provided in the field of geodesy, cartography, geospatial information, printing of cartographic and polygraphic materials;
7.3. to co-operate with geodesy, cartography and geospatial information institutions, scientific research institutions and other institutions in Latvia and abroad, to participate in national and international geodesy, cartography and geospatial information programmes;
7.4. to receive donations, gifts and foreign financial assistance;
7.5. in accordance with the procedures laid down in laws and regulation to act with the property and financial resources at the disposal of the Agency.
III. Administration and Structure of the Latvian Geospatial Information Agency
8. The work of the Agency shall be headed by the Director of the Agency. The Director of the Agency shall carry out the functions of the manager of the direct administration institution laid down in the State Administration Structure Law. The Director of the Agency may have deputy directors.
9. The Director of the Agency shall be appointed to the office and removed from the office by the Minister for Defence in accordance with the procedures laid down in the State Civil Service Law.
10. The Director of the Agency is responsible for the operation of the Agency and shall ensure purposeful and efficient utilisation of the State budget resources allocated.
11. The Director of the Agency shall determine the structure of the Agency, as well as the functions and competence of managers of units.
12. The Agency may create territorial units. Units of the Agency shall operate according to the rules of procedure approved by the Director of the Agency.
IV. Ensuring the Lawfulness of Activities of the Agency and Submitting of Reports
13. The Director of the Agency shall, once a year, submit a report to the Ministry of Defence on carrying out of the functions and tasks, as well as utilisation of financial resources.
14. Administrative acts and actual actions of the Director of the Agency may be contested to the Ministry of Defence. The decision of the Ministry of Defence may be appealed to a court.
V. Closing Provisions
15. Cabinet Regulation No. 1132 of 21 December 2010, By-law of the State Agency "Latvian Geospatial Information Agency" (Latvijas Vēstnesis, 2010, No. 204), is repealed.
16. The Agency is the successor of the functions, rights, liabilities, claims, property in the balance sheet, financial resources, record-keeping and archives of the State agency "Latvian Geospatial Information Agency".
Acting for the Prime Minister -
Minister for Environmental
Translation © 2015 Valsts valodas centrs (State Language Centre)