Quality and Classification Requirements for Kvass and Kvass (Malt) Beverage
Issued pursuant to
1. The Regulation prescribes the quality and classification requirements for kvass and kvass (malt) beverage (hereinafter - the product) to be distributed in Latvia.
2. The following terms are used in the Regulation:
2.1. kvass - a beverage obtained by fermenting a mixture of kvass wort with a yeast of microorganism cultures to which sugar and other food sources and food additives are added or not added after the fermentation. The actual amount of alcohol does not exceed 1.2 percent by volume in a kvass;
2.2. kvass wort - such extracted substances to be obtained from an extract of grain products, rusks of rye, wheat or other cereal bread or from kvass wort concentrate to which sugar syrup is added;
2.3. kvass (malt) beverage - unfermented non-alcoholic beverage which is obtained by using a grain product extract, water, flavourings, preservatives, and other ingredients permitted in the food chain.
3. A product which, in accordance with laws and regulations, has been produced or put into circulation in a European Union Member State or in Turkey or which, in accordance with laws and regulations, has been produced in a European Economic Area country may be offered in Latvia in compliance with the procedures for the recognition of products laid down in the law On Conformity Assessment.
4. The following raw materials which conform to the requirements laid down in the laws and regulations governing the food chain may be used in the production of a product:
4.1. spring water;
4.2. drinking water;
4.3. fruit juice and puree;
4.4. vegetable juice and puree;
4.5. fruit juice concentrate;
4.7. kvass wort concentrate;
4.8. bread rusks;
4.9. cereals, cereal malt and its products;
4.10. extracts of plant materials;
4.11. kvass concentrate;
4.12. carbon dioxide;
4.13. compressed yeast or pure yeast culture;
4.15. sweeteners (except for kvass production);
4.16. flavouring (except for kvass production);
4.17. food additives.
5. The following food additives which meet the purity criteria laid down in the laws and regulations governing the use of food additives in foods may be used in the production of kvass - lactic acid (E270), citric acid (E330), ascorbic acid (E300), sodium benzoate (E211), and potassium sorbate (E202).
6. The product may be enriched with vitamins and minerals.
7. Physical and chemical values of kvass are as follows:
7.1. dry matter content - 3.0 to 14.0 per cent of the mass;
7.2. acidity - 2.0 to 3.5, expressed as ml 1N NaOH/100 ml.
8. The following technological processes are used to improve food storage stability:
8.2. sterile filtration;
8.3. aseptic filling;
8.4. regulation of active acidity (pH);
8.5. adding of food additives.
9. Kvass shall contain only such alcohol which has resulted from the fermentation process.
10. The trade name "kvass", "kvasa dzēriens" [kvass beverage], or "iesala dzēriens" [malt beverage] may be used only for such beverages which conform to the requirements referred to in this Regulation.
11. The word "kvass" may not be used in the additional denomination of the trade name "kvasa dzēriens" or "iesala dzēriens".
12. The actual volume of contents of a prepackaged product conforms to the conditions laid down in the laws and regulations governing metrological requirements for prepackaged products.
13. The product that has been produced and labelled until the day of coming into force of this Regulation and does not conform to the requirements of this Regulation may be distributed in Latvia until expiry of the term of validity of the product.
14. The Regulation shall come into force on 1 July 2011.
Informative Reference to European Union Directives
Legal norms are harmonised with the European Commission and the European Union Member States in conformity with Directive 98/34/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 June 1998 laying down a procedure for the provision of information in the field of technical standards and regulations, and Directive 98/48/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 July 1998 amending Directive 98/34/EC laying down a procedure for the provision of information in the field of technical standards and regulations.
Prime Minister V. Dombrovskis
Minister for Agriculture J. Dūklavs
Translation © 2020 Valsts valodas centrs (State Language Centre)
Title: Kvalitātes un klasifikācijas prasības kvasam un kvasa (iesala) dzērienam Status: