Procedures for the Registration of Film Producers
I. General Provisions
1. This Regulation prescribes:
1.1. procedures for the registration of film producers in the Register of Film Producers (hereinafter - the Register) andtheir exclusion from it;
1.2. content of the Register data.
2. Film producers who are micro, small, medium-sized and large merchants registered in the European Economic Area and associations or foundations registered in Latvia in accordance with Article 2(24) and Annex I to the Commission Regulation (EU) No 651/2014 of 17 June 2014 declaring certain categories of aid compatible with the internal market in application of Articles 107 and 108 of the Treaty shall be registered in the Register.
[18 December 2018]
3. Film producers shall be registered in the Register and excluded therefrom, and the information included in the Register shall be updated by the National Film Centre.
II. Information and Documents to be Submitted for Registration
4. In order to be register in the Register, a film producer shall submit an application to the National Film Centre in which the following shall be indicated:
4.1. general information regarding the film producer (merchant, association, foundation) - the type, name (firm name), registration date and number, legal address, contact information and officials;
4.2. information regarding each film produced independently by the film producer:
4.2.1. the title of the film in the official language and its translation in English or in another language, if the film is dubbed or subtitled in the relevant language or if a voice-over translation translation is provided for it;
4.2.2. the co-producer of the film, if any;
4.2.3. the year when the film was completed, the type and genre of the film, as well as technical data of the film;
4.2.4. the film producer, scriptwriter, camera operator, author of the music, artists, as well as other authors of the film;
4.2.5. the persons acting in the main roles of the film, if any;
4.2.6. the film classification index in accordance with the film classification criteria specified in the laws and regulations regarding film classification;
4.2.7. a short summary of the story of the film;
4.3. information regarding the distribution indicators for each film produced independently by the film producer and completed within the last five years:
4.3.1. the number of viewers at film showings in Latvia and abroad;
4.3.2. the participation of the film in film festivals in Latvia and abroad;
4.3.3. the countries in which film distribution rights have been granted to distributors (indicating the extent of these rights);
4.3.4. other results for the distribution of the film in Latvia and abroad (television, Internet, video releases), indicating the number of viewers and consumers of the film, information regarding sales, downloads, views (number of units or times).
[18 December 2018]
5. [18 December 2018]
III. Taking of a Decision and Making of Entries in the Register
6. The decision to register, suspend the registration or refuse the registration of a film producer shall be taken by the responsible official of the National Film Centre within 15 days after receipt of an application. Before taking the decision to register a film producer, the responsible official of the National Film Centre shall ascertain whether the payment of the State fee has been received in the State budget.
[18 December 2018]
7. If the decision is taken to register a film producer, the responsible official shall assign a registration number to the film producer, make an entry in the Register and issue the film producer registration certificate. The annual deadline by which the film producer has to submit to the National Film Centre information regarding the films independently produced by the film producer and the film distribution indicators shall be determined in the decision to register the film producer.
8. The information indicated in the application by the film producer, as well as the registration date and the date of the last update of information shall be entered in the Register.
9. The decision to suspend the registration of a film producer shall indicate the identified deficiencies and a time period of 15 days for the elimination of the deficiencies.
10. The responsible official of the National Film Centre shall take the decision to refuse the registration of a film producer in the following cases:
10.1. when the deficiencies referred to in the decision to suspend the registration of the film producer have not been eliminated within the specified time period specified;
10.2. when the submitter does not meet the requirements of this Regulation.
11. Submitter has the right to contest the decision of the official of the National Film Centre in accordance with the procedures specified in the Administrative Procedure Law.
IV. Registration Certificate
12. The registration certificate shall indicate the date and number of the film producer registration, the information referred to in Sub-paragraph 4.1 of this Regulation, as well as the date of annual update of the information of the Register.
13. The registration certificate shall be signed and certified with a stamp by an official of the National Film Centre.
14. Samples of the registration certificate and film producer application forms, as well as sample forms for the submission of other information referred to in this Regulation shall be approved by the National Film Centre.
V. Updating of the Register Information
15. Once a year (in accordance with the decision to register the film producer) the film producer shall submit to the National Film Centre the information referred to in Sub-paragraphs 4.2 and 4.3 of this Regulation regarding the previous calendar year.
16. Information regarding changes in the information referred to in Sub-paragraph 4.1 of this Regulation shall be submitted by the film producer to the National Film Centre within 15 days after making the relevant changes.
17. If the National Film Centre has information at its disposal that incorrect information has been indicated in the Register, the National Film Centre shall check the information and, if necessary, request that the film producer provides updated information within 14 days.
VI. Exclusion from the Register
18. A film producer shall be excluded from the Register within 15 days after establishment of the fact, if:
18.1. it has been found in the public registers that the film producer has been liquidated;
18.2. it has been specified in a court judgment;
18.3. an application has been received from the film producer for the exclusion from the Register;
18.4. the film producer, within 15 days after expiry of the deadline, has not provided the information referred to in Paragraphs 15 and 16 of this Regulation to the National Film Centre;
18.5. the film producer has provided false information to the National Film Centre.
19. A film producer shall be excluded from the Register on the basis of the decision of an official of the National Film Centre.
20. If the registration certificate of a film producer is lost, the responsible official of the National Film Centre, after receipt of the relevant application from the film producer, shall issue a copy of the registration certificate.
VII. Closing Provisions
21. Cabinet Regulation No. 487 of 20 November 2001, Regulations Regarding the Distribution of Films (Latvijas Vēstnesis, 2001, No. 171; 2002, No. 114; 2005, No. 172; 2008, No. 98), is repealed.
22. A film producer registration certificate, issued in accordance with Cabinet Regulation No. 487 of 20 November 2001, Regulations Regarding the Distribution of Films, shall be valid until the expiry date indicated therein.
23. When registering a film producer who until the day of the coming into force of this Regulation is registered with the National Film Centre as a film producer (manufacturer) in accordance with the procedures specified in Cabinet Regulation No. 487 of 20 November 2001, Regulations Regarding the Distribution of Films, the film producer need not provide information which is already registered with the National Film Centre.
Prime Minister V. Dombrovskis
Minister for Culture I. Dālderis
Translation © 2019 Valsts valodas centrs (State Language Centre)