By-law of the State Fire-fighting and Rescue Service
Issued pursuant to
I. General Provisions
1. The State Fire-fighting and Rescue Service (hereinafter - Service) is a direct administrative institution subject to the supervision of the Minister for the Interior.
2. The Service shall have a seal with the supplemented lesser State coat of arms of Latvia and the full name of the Service. The Service shall have a flag, emblem and motto.
II. The Functions, Tasks and Rights of the Service
3. The Service shall have the following functions:
3.1. to implement State policy in the activity field of fire safety, fire-fighting, civil protection and the single emergency telephone number "112";
3.2. to supervise observance of the requirements regarding fire safety and civil protection prescribed in regulatory enactments;
3.3. to perform fire-fighting and rescue operations; and
3.4. to co-ordinate the activities related to fire safety and fire-fighting performed by fire safety, fire-fighting and rescue services established by institutions, organisations, commercial companies and local governments, and performed by voluntary fire-fighting organisations.
4. In order to ensure the performance of functions, the Service shall have the following tasks:
4.1. to study the state of fire safety in Latvia and the possible threats and, based on the analysis thereof, provide State and local government institutions, as well as other persons, with recommendations regarding improvement of the situation in the field of fire safety and civil protection;
4.2. to organise and perform prevention measures in the field of State fire safety and civil protection;
4.3. to participate in the evaluation of measures taken for assessment and reduction of the risk of industrial accidents;
4.4. to manage and perform fire-fighting;
4.5. to manage and perform rescue operations:
4.5.1. when performing fire-fighting;
4.5.2. after road traffic accidents;
4.5.3. in inland waters;
4.5.4. in conformity with the technical provisions and possibilities of the Service - underwater search and other rescue operations;
4.6. in co-operation with other authorities, to perform emergency rescue and elimination of consequences operations in conformity with the radiation safety and nuclear safety requirements specified in regulatory enactments;
4.7. in co-operation with other authorities, to perform and manage emergency measures for elimination of the consequences of accidents;
4.8. in the event of a fire or accident, to provide all possible assistance to natural persons;
4.9. to provide receipt and processing of calls to the single emergency number "112" and, if necessary, their redirection to other operative services;
4.10. in conformity with the competence thereof, to organise and implement civil protection measures;
4.11. in conformity with the competence thereof, to develop drafts of regulatory enactments regulating fire safety, fire-fighting, rescue and civil protection, as well as to participate in the preparation of opinions regarding the drafts of regulatory enactments developed by other authorities;
4.12. to train persons to be involved in fire safety, fire-fighting and rescue operations, as well as civil protection measures, and to organise the activities thereof;
4.13. to inform the public about fire safety and civil protection field;
4.14. to collect, preserve and popularise with the public the values related to the history and the present of Latvian fire-fighting, as well as to promote utilisation thereof for educating the society; and
4.15. to perform other tasks specified in regulatory enactments.
5. The Service has the right to:
5.1. request and receive free of charge information and documents from natural persons required for implementing the tasks of the Service;
5.2. in conformity with the competence thereof, to represent Latvia in international organisations and at events;
5.3. provide paid services in accordance with the procedures prescribed in regulatory enactments;
5.4. request and receive free of charge from a merchant which ensures a public electronic communications network or provides electronic communications services, data regarding the location of a user of the electronic communications services, without the consent of the user or subscriber, if processing of the location data is necessary for the performance of the tasks of the Service; and
5.5. perform other activities prescribed by regulatory enactments.
III. Structure of the Service, Competence of Officials and Institution Subject Thereto
6. There are the structural units of the central administration, independent and territorial structural units, as well as the Fire Fighting Museum of Latvia (hereinafter - Museum), in the composition of the Service.
7. The Service structural units shall act in accordance with this By-law and regulations of the relevant structural unit..
8. The Museum shall act in accordance with this By-law and Museum regulations.
9. The layout (dislocation) of the Service territorial structural units shall be prescribed by the Minister for the Interior.
10. The work of the Service shall be managed by the Head of the Service.
11. The Head of the Service shall:
11.1. represent the Service without specific authorisation;
11.2. determine the structure of the Service;
11.3. authorise officials of the Service to represent the Service at State and local government authorities, as well as in relationship with non-governmental and international organisations;
11.4. be responsible for carrying out the tasks assigned by the Service, and efficient utilisation of financial, personnel and other resources;
11.5. approve the list of offices of the Service;
11.6. in accordance with the procedures prescribed by regulatory enactments, engage, appoint to a position, remove from office and pension off officials of the Service, approve job descriptions, as well as determine the remuneration amount for officials (within the framework prescribed by regulatory enactments);
11.7. employ and dismiss employees of the central administration, Museum and independent structural units, specify their work duties, as well as the work remuneration amount;
11.8. confer special Service ranks in accordance with the procedures prescribed in regulatory enactments;
11.9. award Service officials and employees and impose disciplinary sanctions in accordance with the procedures prescribed in regulatory enactments;
11.10. take decisions, issue written or oral orders, as well as instructions to Service officials and employees;
11.11. examine submissions in accordance with the procedures prescribed by regulatory enactments;
11.12. ensure strategies for Service activities and development, drawing up of the activity plan and budget proposal for the current year;
11.13. ensure drawing up of a report regarding the activities of the Service for the current year; and
11.14. perform other tasks of the Minister for the Interior or other activities prescribed in regulatory enactments.
12. The Head of the Service shall have deputies. The competence of the deputy of the Service Head shall be specified in the Service regulations and the job description.
13. An independent and territorial structural unit shall be managed by the Head (commander). The competence of the Head (commander) shall be specified in the regulations of the relevant independent and territorial structural unit and in the job description of the position of the Head (commander) of the structural unit.
14. The Museum shall be managed by the Museum Director. The competence of the Museum Director shall be specified in the regulations of the Museum and in the job description of the position of the Museum Director.
15. The Fire Safety and Civil Protection College shall be subordinate to the Service. The College shall operate according to its by-law.
IV. Ensuring the Rule of Law in Service Activities
16. The Head of the Service shall ensure the rule of law in the activities of the Service. The Head of the Service shall be responsible for the establishment and operation of a system for the examination of Service decisions.
17. The Head of the Service has the right to revoke decisions and orders of official of the Service.
18. A decision regarding an administrative act issued and actual action performed by the Head of the Service may be disputed with the Ministry of the Interior. A decision by the Ministry of the Interior may be appealed to a court.
19. A decision regarding disputed administrative acts and actual action issued by the Head (commander) of a Service independent or territorial structural unit shall be received by the Head of the Service, unless otherwise provided in regulatory enactments. A decision of the Head of the Service may be appealed to a court.
20. A decision regarding administrative acts and actual action issued by other officials of the Service shall be taken by the Head (commander) of a Service territorial structural unit, unless otherwise provided in regulatory enactments.
V. Financing of Service Activities
21. The Service shall be financed from the State budget subsidies from the general revenue and revenue from paid services provided by the Service in accordance with the Law on the State Budget for the current year.
22. The Service shall have a donations and gifts account with the Treasury.
VI. Report on Service Activities
23. The Service shall at least once a year submit to the Minister for the Interior a report regarding the implementation of Service functions and expenditure of the budget resources, as well as draw up the annual public report according to the procedures prescribed by regulatory enactments.
24. The Minister for the Interior has the right to request a report on Service activities at any given time.
VII. Closing Provisions
25. Cabinet Regulation No. 173 of 15 April 2003, By-law of the State Fire-fighting and Rescue Service (Latvijas Vēstnesis, 2003, No. 60; 2009, No. 21) is repealed.
26. This Regulation shall come into force on 1 May 2010.
Prime Minister V. Dombrovskis
Minister for the Interior,
Translation © 2010 Valsts valodas centrs (State Language Centre)
Title: Valsts ugunsdzēsības un glābšanas dienesta nolikums Status: