Regulations Regarding Quality Requirements for Raw Milk that Is Intended for the Production of Cheese Whose Ageing Period is at Least 60 Days
Issued pursuant to
1. The Regulation prescribes the quality requirements for raw milk that is intended for the production of the cheese whose ageing period is at least 60 days (hereinafter - the cheese) and the procedures for assessing the compliance of the raw milk with quality requirements.
2. Food business operator who produces or collects raw milk intended for the production of cheese shall meet the requirements laid down in Annex I to Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2004 on the hygiene of foodstuffs (hereinafter - Regulation No 852/2004) and Annex III, Section IX, Chapter I, except for the requirements laid down in Chapter I, Part III, Paragraph 3, of Regulation (EC) No 853/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2004 laying down specific hygiene rules for food of animal origin (hereinafter - Regulation No 853/2004).
3. The market participant referred to in Paragraph 2 of this Regulation shall inform the Food and Veterinary Service (hereinafter - the Service) when commencing the production of cheese or the collection of raw milk intended for the production of cheese.
4. The Service shall take a decision to permit the use of raw milk for the production of cheese if the raw milk conforms to the requirements laid down in this Regulation.
5. The producer of milk may sell the raw milk for the production of cheese if the cows are examined in accordance with the requirements of the laws and regulations regarding the supervision and control of infectious animal diseases monitored by the State and no infectious pathogenic agents have been detected for the cows.
6. The raw milk shall be used for the production of cheese if:
6.1. it is white;
6.2. it has a smell and taste characteristic to raw milk, without any other taste or smell;
6.3. it is liquid, with a uniform consistency, without flakes, slurry, mechanical or other impurities.
7. Such raw milk shall be used in the production of cheese in which no presence of inhibitors has been determined and in which:
7.1. the total amount of bacteria at 30 ºC temperature in one millilitre of milk (rolling geometric average over a two-month period, with at least two samples per month) does not conform to the amount specified in Annex III, Section IX, Chapter I, Part III, Paragraph 3 of Regulation No 853/2004;
7.2. the total amount of somatic cells in one millilitre of milk (rolling geometric average over a three-month period, with at least one sample per month) does not conform to the amount specified in Annex III, Section IX, Chapter I, Part III, Paragraph 3 of Regulation No 853/2004.
8. The milk samples shall be tested in a laboratory which has been accredited by the national accreditation institution in accordance with the laws and regulations regarding the assessment, accreditation and supervision of conformity assessment institutions, or in a laboratory accredited by the accreditation institution of another European Union Member State. The quality control of milk shall be done in a laboratory which complies with the requirements laid down in laws and regulations regarding the procedures for the recognition and monitoring of quality control laboratories for raw milk.
[27 November 2018]
9. If a dispute arises among food business operators about the results of the quality testing of raw milk, the Service shall, upon written request of the party involved, take a sample of the raw milk and send it for a repeat examination to the reference laboratory in the field of control of milk and milk products.
10. Expenses related to the sampling, sending, examination, and preparation of an opinion on the results of the examination of the raw milk specified in Paragraph 9 of this Regulation shall be covered by the submitter of the request.
11. Cabinet Regulation No. 931 of 14 November 2006, Regulations Regarding the Quality Requirements of Raw Milk that Is Intended for the Production of Cheese Whose Ageing Period is at Least 60 Days and Regarding the Quality Conformity Assessment (Latvijas Vēstnesis, 2006, No. 185; 2007, No. 205), is repealed.
Prime Minister V. Dombrovskis
Acting for the Minister for Agriculture
Translation © 2020 Valsts valodas centrs (State Language Centre)
Title: Noteikumi par kvalitātes prasībām svaigpienam, kas paredzēts siera ražošanai ar nogatavināšanas .. Status: