Regulations on the Carriage of Military Persons and Military Goods by Rail
Issued pursuant to
1. The Regulation prescribes the procedures by which loading, fixing, and unloading of military equipment shall be organised, the specific requirements for filling in a consignment note and information to be indicated in accompanying documents in carriage of military goods, and the safety measures to be taken in performing carriage by rail of military persons and military goods.
2. The laws and regulations regarding technical provisions for loading and fixing of rail freights shall apply to loading, fixing, and unloading of military goods (including military equipment) insofar as they are not in contradiction with this Regulation.
3. Carriage by rail of military persons and military goods shall be performed on the basis of a contract for public procurement of carriage by rail provided for the support of foreign armed forces or the National Armed Forces.
4. The ordering party of carriage by rail of military persons and military goods, upon entering into a contract for public procurement of carriage by rail, shall agree with the carrier on the development of schemes for the placement and fixing of military equipment in cars or submit already developed schemes to the carrier.
5. The carrier shall ensure co-ordination of the schemes referred to in Paragraph 4 of this Regulation with the public-use railway infrastructure manager, conforming to the time period for performance of carriage specified in the contract for public procurement of carriage by rail.
6. Loading and fixing of military equipment in cars and unloading thereof from cars shall be performed by the carrier, if the ordering party of the relevant carriage does not agree otherwise with the carrier. The military equipment shall be placed and fixed in cars according to the schemes referred to in Paragraph 4 of this Regulation.
7. Upon loading military equipment, the carrier or ordering party (depending on who is loading the military equipment) shall make the following note in Column 48 of the consignment note provided for in the laws and regulations regarding the procedures for filling in a consignment note in domestic carriage by rail of goods:
7.1. the goods have been placed and fixed according to the scheme for placement and fixing of military goods in cars (the date and number of developing the scheme shall be indicated);
7.2. means of fixing have been used (the name and number of the means of fixing, the diameter of wire and the number of threads, as well as the dimensions of beams shall be indicated).
8. If the information to be indicated in the consignment note and accompanying documents in carriage of military goods includes classified information, the sender, carrier, and recipient of the goods shall fill in the consignment note and indicate the information in accompanying documents in a way that ensures the protection of classified information in accordance with the requirements of laws and regulations.
9. The National Armed Forces or a guarding merchant which has received an industrial security certificate in accordance with the procedures laid down in laws and regulations, shall guard the military equipment when it is being loaded, fixed, carried in cars, and unloaded from cars.
10. The procedures for guarding military equipment shall be determined by the ordering party on a case-by-case basis according to the specific nature of the relevant carriage.
11. The carrier shall ensure briefing of the guarding staff of military goods and military persons regarding general provisions for rail traffic safety prior to the intended carriage of military goods and military persons.
Prime Minister V. Dombrovskis
Minister for Transport K. Gerhards
Translation © 2017 Valsts valodas centrs (State Language Centre)