By-law of the National Film Centre
Issued pursuant to
I. General Provisions
1. The National Film Centre (hereinafter - Centre) is a State institution of direct administration under the supervision of the Ministry of Culture, which implements the national policy in the cinema and film industry.
2. The objective of operation of the Centre is to implement the national policy in the cinema and film industry and to administer the funds from the State budget intended for the cinema and film industry.
II. Functions, Tasks and Rights of the Centre
3. The Centre shall have the following functions:
3.1. to administer the funds from the State budget intended for the cinema and film industry;
3.2. to promote sustainable development and competitiveness of the cinema and film industry of Latvia;
3.3. to promote the creation of films, as well as the availability and distribution of audiovisual heritage in Latvia and around the world;
3.4. to co-ordinate the participation of the cinema and film industry of Latvia in European support programmes for the audio-visual field;
3.5. to register film producers;
3.6. to supervise the fulfilment of the provisions for the classification of films; and
3.7. to perform other functions specified in the regulatory enactments in the field of cinema.
4. In order to ensure the performance of the referred to functions, the Centre shall carry out the following tasks:
4.1. distribute the funds granted from the State budget to the cinema and film industry for the making of films and to projects related to the film industry;
4.2. promote the development of Latvian cinema, the production, showing and distribution of films;
4.3. administer the right of use of such films, the owner of the economic copyright or related rights of which is the State;
4.4. restore and digitalise such film carriers, the owner of the economic copyright or related rights of which is the State;
4.5. promote the co-operation with European Union Member States and other states in the field of film industry;
4.6. promote the acquisition of international experience of persons representing the field of film industry of Latvia;
4.7. promote the co-operation with organisations of the film industry and other related organisations;
4.8. by contract delegate the creation of a database of the film industry and the provision of the accessibility thereto to a private individual;
4.9. accumulate, analyse and summarise information regarding the production, distribution and public showing of films; and
4.10. popularise the spiritual and material values of the audiovisual culture of Latvia, prepare publications - scientific studies and other materials and issue informative publications in the cinema and film industry.
5. The Centre is entitled to:
5.1. in accordance with the procedures and in cases specified in regulatory enactments, request and receive, free of charge, the information and documents from State and local government institutions necessary for the performance of the functions and tasks of the Centre, as well as to request private individuals to provide the information and documents necessary for the performance of service tasks;
5.2. in accordance with the competence thereof, represent the cinema and film industry of Latvia in international organisations and at events related to the development of the film industry;
5.3. co-operate with State and local government institutions, non-governmental organisations, natural persons and legal persons as well as with foreign institutions; and
5.4. perform other functions specified in external regulatory enactments.
III. Structure of the Centre and Competence of Officials
6. The Centre shall be managed by the Director of the Centre. The Director of the Centre shall be appointed to the position and released from the position by the Minister for Culture.
7. The Director of the Centre shall perform the functions of the head of an institution of direct administration specified in the State Administration Structure Law.
8. The Director of the Centre may have a deputy, whose competence shall be determined by the Director of the Centre.
9. Official duties of officials and employees of the Centre shall be determined in the descriptions of positions and employment contracts.
IV. Ensuring the Lawfulness of Activities of the Centre and the Provision of Reports
10. The Director of the Centre shall ensure the lawfulness of the activities of the Centre. The Director of the Centre shall be responsible for the establishment and operation of a system for the examination of administrative decisions.
11. Administrative acts issued by, and actual action of, employees of the Centre may be contested by submitting a relevant submission to the Director of the Centre. The decision of the Director of the Centre may be appealed to a court.
12. The administrative acts issued by, and actual action of, the Director of the Centre (except in the case referred to in Paragraph 11 of this Regulation) may be contested by submitting a relevant submission to the Ministry of Culture. A decision of the Ministry of Culture may be appealed to a court.
13. Once a year the Centre shall submit to the Ministry of Culture an annual report on the performance of functions and the utilisation of funds.
14. Upon request of the Minister for Culture, the Centre shall provide information regarding the activities of the Centre and the utilisation of funds.
V. Closing Provisions
15. Cabinet Regulation No. 558 of 26 July 2005, By-law of the State Agency "National Film Centre" (Latvijas Vēstnesis, 2005, No. 119; 2006, No. 37; 2008, No.10, No. 100) is repealed.
16. Until the day of the coming into force of the relevant Cabinet Regulation, but not later than until 1 July 2010, the Centre shall perform functions in accordance with the following Cabinet Regulations, issued on the basis of Section 14, Paragraph one, Clause 3 of the Law on the Structure of the Cabinet adopted by the Saeima on 15 July 1993:
16.1. Cabinet Regulation No. 487 of 20 November 2001, Regulations Regarding the Distribution of Films;
16.2. Cabinet Regulation No. 429 of 10 June 2008, Procedures for the Granting of Financing from the State Budget for Film Industry Projects; and
16.3. Cabinet Regulation No. 457 of 17 June 2008, Regulations Regarding the Classification of Films.
17. This Regulation shall come into force on 1 January 2010.
Prime Minister V. Dombrovskis
Minister for Culture I.Dālderis
Translation © 2010 Valsts valodas centrs (State Language Centre)