By-law of the Supervision Council for Genetically Modified Organisms
Issued pursuant to
1. The Supervision Council for Genetically Modified Organisms (hereinafter - Council) is a consultative institution, which co-ordinates the development of the national biosafety system policy.
2. The Council shall perform the functions prescribed by the Law On Circulation of Genetically Modified Organisms and other regulatory enactments regarding the area of the circulation of genetically modified organisms.
3. The Council shall have the following tasks:
3.1. to analyse the situation of biosafety in the State;
3.2. submit proposals and recommendations in regard to the regulatory enactment system in the area of the circulation of genetically modified organisms;
3.3. participate in the determination of issues of national interest in the area of genetically modified organisms, which are related to the legislative drafts of the European Union.
4. The Council has the right to:
4.1. to request and receive in accordance with the procedures prescribed in regulatory enactments information from State and local government institutions necessary for Council activities;
4.2. invite experts from the relevant area with advisory rights, as well as representatives from the associations and federations of producers and retailers and consumer interest organisations to provide consultations on issues regarding the circulation of genetically modified organisms;
4.3. authorise a representative of the Council to promulgate the Council's position to State and local government institutions.
5. The Council shall be composed of:
5.1. the Minister for Agriculture - Chair of the Council;
5.2. Director of the Nature Protection Department of the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Regional Development- Deputy Chair of the Council;
5.3. Director of the Veterinary and Food Department of the Ministry of Agriculture;
5.4. [3 November 2009];
5.5. Director of the Agricultural Department of the Ministry of Agriculture;
5.6. General Director of the Food and Veterinary Service;
5.7. Director of the Assessment and Registration Department of the Food and Veterinary Service;
5.8. Director of the State Plant Protection Service;
5.9. a representative of the Ministry of Health;
5.10. [3 November 2009];
5.11. a representative of the State Environmental Service;
5.12. a representative of the Ministry of Welfare;
5.13. a representative of the State Agency of Medicines;
5.14. Head of the Scientific Experts Commission;
5.15. a representative of the Nature Conservation Agency.
[3 November 2009; 31 May 2011]
6. The composition of the Council's personnel shall be approved by the Minister for Agriculture.
[3 November 2009]
7. Meetings of the Council shall be chaired by the Chair of the Council. During the absence of the Chair, his or her duties shall be performed by the Deputy Chair of the Council.
8. Council meetings shall occur once a quarter, if issues have been proposed for deliberation during the Council meeting. Proposals regarding issues to be examined during the Council meeting and documents or draft documents concerning the issues to be examined shall be submitted to the Council secretariat at least two weeks prior to the scheduled Council meeting.
9. The Council secretariat functions shall be provided by the Ministry of Agriculture. The Secretary of the Council shall not be a member of the Council. The Secretary of the Council shall announce the date and agenda of a Council meeting at least ten working days prior to the meeting and at least five working days prior to the meeting shall electronically send materials associated with the issues to be covered during the meeting to the Council members and those institutions, the representatives of which in accordance with the issues included on the Council agenda shall participate in the work of the Council in the capacity of a consultant.
10. An extraordinary Council meeting shall be convened if demanded by the Council Chair, his or her deputy or by at least one third of the Council members.
11. The time of an extraordinary Council meeting, agenda and materials associated with the issues to be covered during the meeting shall be sent by the Secretary of the Council, no later than three working days prior to the Council meeting, to the Council members and those institutions, the representatives of which in accordance with the issues included on the Council agenda shall participate in the work of the Council in the capacity of a consultant.
12. The Council shall have a quorum if not less than half of the members of the Council participate in a meeting thereof.
13. The Council shall take decisions by a simple majority of votes, by open ballot. If the voting is tied, the deciding vote shall be that of the Chair of the meeting.
14. The Council secretary shall take the minutes for Council meetings and enter decisions taken by the Council into the minutes.
15. The Council secretary shall place the Council Bylaw and Council minutes on the home page of the Ministry of Agriculture, as well as once a year - a report on the work of the Council.
Prime Minister I. Godmanis
Acting for the Minister for
Translation © 2013 Valsts valodas centrs (State Language Centre)
Title: Ģenētiski modificēto organismu uzraudzības padomes nolikums Status:
No longer in force