Procedures for Technical Supervision of Ropeway Installations
Issued pursuant to
1. General Provisions
1. These Regulations prescribe the requirements that must be complied with, when maintaining and using ropeway installations (hereinafter - ropeways) for the carriage of people in order not to cause threat to human life, health, property and the environment, as well as the procedures for the technical supervision of ropeway installations.
2. Depending on the construction ropeways may be classified as follows:
2.1. funicular railways and other transport installations, equipped with wheels or suspension devices and the traction of which is provided by one or more ropes;
2.2. aerial ropeways with a cabin (car) for passengers, as well as ropeways intended for the transportation of people over the air in open gondolas or chairs; and
2.3. ski-draglines and traction units, if the users and their equipment is transported, utilising a rope.
3. These Regulations shall not apply to:
3.1. lifts, the operation of which is regulated by the regulatory enactments regarding lifts;
3.2. traditionally constructed rope power source tramways;
3.3. ropeway installations utilised in agriculture;
3.4. fixed or movable ropeway installations utilised in fairs and fun-fairs and that are intended to be utilised as a vehicle;
3.5. fixed ropeway installations utilised in industry;
3.6. rope power source ferries;
3.7. pinion railways; and
3.8. circuit power source installations.
4. The Ministry of Economics in co-operation with the relevant technical committee shall recommend to the limited liability company Latvijas standarts [Latvian Standard] a list of standards to be drawn up, adapted and applied in relation to these Regulations.
5. The limited liability company Latvijas standarts shall submit for publication in the newspaper Latvijas Vēstnesis [the official Gazette of the Government of the Republic of Latvia] a list of those Latvian national standards that are applied for the fulfilment of the requirements of these Regulations (hereinafter - applicable standards).
6. An accredited authority regarding which the Ministry of Economics has published a notification in the newspaper Latvijas Vēstnesis (hereinafter - inspection authority) is entitled to perform technical inspections of ropeways, if such authority:
6.1. is accredited by the State Agency Latvijas Nacionālais akreditācijas birojs [Latvian National Accreditation Bureau] in accordance with the requirements of the standard LVS EN ISO/IEC 17020:2005 General criteria for the operation of various types of bodies performing inspection and the requirements specified in these Regulations; and
6.2. has insured the civil liability thereof in such an amount as to cover the possible loses, caused due to faulty or false opinion that have been calculated in the risk assessment of the area of activity of the authority in co-operation with an insurer chosen by the authority.
7. The Latvian National Accreditation Bureau shall evaluate and perform regular inspections of the compliance of an inspection authority with the requirements specified in Paragraph 6 of these Regulations.
2. Maintenance of Ropeways
8. The possessor of a ropeway (hereinafter - possessor) shall ensure the layout of the ropeway, appropriate and safe use, servicing and technical supervision thereof in accordance with the requirements specified in the instructions issued by the manufacturer, applicable standards and these Regulations.
9. When leasing or putting a ropeway into the service of another person, the responsibility referred to in Paragraph 8 of these Regulations shall not be delegated.
10. It is only permitted to use ropeways registered with the State Labour Inspectorate after receipt of a permit for the utilisation thereof. The State Labour Inspectorate shall issue a permit for the utilisation of the ropeway, making a relevant entry in the passport of the ropeway.
11. Each ropeway shall be required to have a passport in the State language. The possessor shall complete the passport for the particular ropeway (Annex).
12. The passport of a ropeway shall be also handed over, when selling, giving as a gift or otherwise putting the ropeway into service of another possessor. The data regarding the new possessor shall be indicated in the passport of the ropeway. The State Labour Inspectorate shall re-register the ropeway in accordance with the regulatory enactments regarding the registration of hazardous installations.
13. The possessor shall ensure that the instructions of ropeways are available to the maintenance personnel. At least the following information shall be specified in the instructions:
13.1. the procedures for the utilisation of the ropeway in intended conditions of their utilisation and emergency situations;
13.2. the procedures for the performance of the technical maintenance and technical supervision of the ropeway, as well as inspections performed by the user; and
13.3. the technological schemes, drawings, specifications, diagrams and calculations of the ropeway, if they help to understand the guidelines provided in the instructions.
14. The possessor is prohibited from using the ropeway:
14.1. if he or she does not have the passport of the ropeway;
14.2. if he or she does not have the instructions referred to in Paragraph 13 of these Regulations;
14.3. if the technical inspection has not been performed in the specified time period or cases referred to in these Regulations;
14.4. if a responsible specialist and personnel have not been appointed;
14.5. if safety and signalling devices are not installed or are damaged; and
14.6. if the risk analysis of the ropeway has not been performed in accordance with these Regulations.
15. The possessor shall maintain the ropeway in working order and ensure:
15.1. a sufficient number of personnel for the maintenance of the ropeway, who are trained and instructed in accordance with the regulatory enactments regarding occupational protection, using work equipment, as well as shall ensure the training of the personnel in the matters regarding the ropeway maintenance, taking into account the design and conditions of utilisation of the ropeway;
15.2. development and issuance of instructions to the maintenance personnel for the technical maintenance of the ropeway and for the performance of work, as well as the development, approval and updating of work instructions for the maintenance personnel in accordance with the instructions of the manufacturer;
15.3. assign in writing a specialist with an adequate qualification, who shall be responsible for the technical condition of the ropeway, proper utilisation and technical maintenance thereof (hereinafter - responsible specialist);
15.4. the risk analysis of the ropeway in accordance with Sub-chapter 3.2 of these Regulations;
15.5. presenting of the passport and instructions of the ropeway to the officials of the State Labour Inspectorate and the representatives of the inspection authorities in accordance with the regulatory enactments regarding ropeway installations;
15.6. timely performance of the technical inspections of the ropeway in accordance with Section 4 of these Regulations; and
15.7. notification to the State Labour Inspectorate regarding emergencies and accidents that have occurred during the utilisation of the ropeway according to the procedures specified in the regulatory enactments regarding the procedures for the investigation and registration of accidents at work.
16. The possessor shall provide a responsible specialist with the passport of the ropeway, the instructions of the ropeway and the work safety instructions of the maintenance personnel.
17. A responsible specialist has the following duties:
17.1. to maintain the ropeway in the appropriate technical state;
17.2. to ensure the adequate storage of the documentation specified in Paragraph 16 of these Regulations;
17.3. to supervise that the qualification of the maintenance personnel complies with the requirements specified in Sub-paragraph 15.1 of these Regulations;
17.4. to prepare the ropeway for the technical inspections provided for in these Regulations and to be present when such technical inspections are performed;
17.5. if unacceptable defects or violation of instructions have been determined during the utilisation of the ropeway, to stop the operation thereof and to ensure the elimination of the deficiency;
17.6. to instruct the maintenance personnel at the workplace and to organise repeated and extraordinary examinations of knowledge;
17.7. in the passport of the ropeway, to indicate all the data regarding the maintenance and servicing of the ropeway, measures taken that affect the safe utilisation of the ropeway, as well as the results of the technical inspections specified in these Regulations; and
17.8. to stop the operation of the ropeway if the utilisation thereof may cause a threat to human life, health, property or the environment, as well as if the technical inspections of the ropeway have not been performed within the provided time limits.
18. The maintenance personnel of the ropeway shall have the following duties:
18.1. in accordance with the work instructions and the orders and instructions of the responsible specialist, to comply with all the work safety, fire safety and the environmental protection requirements during the utilisation of the ropeway;
18.2. to stop the operation of the ropeway and to notify the responsible specialist or the possessor, if the further utilisation of the ropeway causes a threat to human life, health, property or the environment, as well as in the following cases:
18.2.1. safety devices of the ropeway, which detect any defects of the ropeway installations that may cause threat to the users of the ropeway, and which warn about it, as well as react to any foreseeable external procedure that may cause threat to the users of the ropeway or to the maintenance personnel, are damaged;
18.2.2. ropes of the ropeway are damaged;
18.2.3. cracks, damages or ruptures have been detected in the supporting constructions or stabilising constructions;
18.2.4. disturbances in the power supply of the automatic control systems, measurement equipment, alarm system and automatic safety devices;
18.2.5. an emergency or an accident has occurred during the utilisation of the ropeway;
18.2.6. a fire or another emergency situation has occurred that may cause a threat to the safe utilisation of the ropeway; and
18.2.7. in other cases provided for in the instructions for service personnel;
18.3. to maintain in working order the departure and destination zones; and
18.4. to regulate the access and transportation of passengers in accordance with the instructions and guidelines for passengers.
19. It is prohibited to operate the ropeway without the direct presence of the maintenance personnel.
3. Safety Requirements for the Utilisation of Ropeways
3.1. Safe Utilisation of Ropeways
20. A ropeway shall be used taking into account the design of the ropeway, special features of the relief, atmosphere and meteorological factors of the relevant territory, as well as the possible objects and obstacles that are located near the ropeway on land or in the air in order not to cause a threat to human life, health, property or the environment, during the utilisation of the ropeway or performing rescue operations.
21. Each ropeway shall be provided with a safety device that ensures the possibility to stop the ropeway at any time, using a manual control. The ropeway cannot be activated anew, as long as the necessary safety measures have not been taken.
22. Safety distances shall be observed between the ropeway vehicles, traction units, tracks, ropes, as well as the possible objects and obstacles that are located near the ropeway on land or in the air, taking into account the vertical and horizontal movement forward or to the side of the ropes and vehicles in the most unfavourable foreseeable conditions of their utilisation.
23. The maximum speed, the minimum distance between the ropeway vehicles or traction units, as well as the acceleration and deceleration regime of the ropeway vehicles or traction units shall be selected such as to guarantee the safe utilisation of the ropeway in accordance with Sub-chapter 3.2 of these Regulations.
24. The movement of ropeway vehicles and traction units shall be organised in such a way as not to expose people to risk taking into consideration the possible active effect on the movement of the ropeway vehicles and traction units.
25. The option to stop the ropeway at any time even in the most unfavourable conditions of its utilisation shall be ensured in relation to the permitted load and capacity of adhesion of the pulleys in the cases referred to in Sub-paragraph 18.2 of these Regulations. The braking distance shall be as short as it is required for the safe utilisation of the ropeway.
26. Control devices of the ropeway installations shall be maintained so as to be safe, to bear the load intended during the use and external factor, the effect of humidity, high or low temperatures, electromagnetic disturbance and not to cause dangerous situations also if a failure has occurred during the utilisation.
27. The working order of a ropeway shall be maintained by utilising adequate communication appliances that allow the maintenance personnel to communicate mutually, as well as to inform users in emergency situations.
28. The traction units of a ropeway shall be maintained so as not to allow exposure of people to risk of injury in the foreseeable conditions of utilisation, as well as to guarantee safety of the maintenance personnel in accordance with the regulatory enactments regarding labour protection.
29. A ropeway shall be provided with appropriate devices if in accordance with the instructions of the manufacturer the ropeway is intended for the transportation of children and persons with reduced mobility.
30. The following information about the utilisation of a ropeway shall be located in a clearly visible manner at the places of embarkation and disembarkation of the ropeway.
30.1. the name of the ropeway;
30.2. the safety requirements; and
30.3. the working time of the ropeway.
31. Indications that apply to the safety requirements for the passengers of a ropeway, where it is possible, shall be set up as pictograms.
32. The zones which the users are prohibited from entering shall be demarcated with enclosing barriers or, where it is not possible, with warning tapes.
33. The possessor of a ropeway shall ensure that the registration number of the ropeway, maximum number of passengers determined by the manufacturer, as well as the date of the next technical examination are indicated in a visible place on the ropeway (the height of the characters shall be not less than 50 mm).
3.2. Risk Analysis
34. A competent person of an inspection authority invited by the possessor of a ropeway shall carry out the risk analysis that comprises evaluation of the safety of the ropeway and impact on the environment thereof when using the ropeway, for each ropeway prior to its utilisation, as well as after a reconstruction. The competent person, on the basis of experience, shall determine the possible risk factors during the utilisation of the ropeway.
35. The results and conclusions of the risk analysis of a ropeway shall be documented, as well as the measures to be taken shall be indicated so as the subsystems of the ropeway and safety components comply with the requirements referred to in Sub-chapter 3.1 of these Regulations.
36. The risk analysis shall be carried out for all regimes of the utilisation specified by the manufacturer of the ropeway, as well as providing for the impact of the environment and the most unfavourable situations. The methods specified in the applicable standards shall be utilised in the analysis, taking into consideration the technical possibilities and complexity of the ropeway.
37. The risk analysis shall be carried out also for the safety devices referred to in Sub-paragraph 18.2.1 of these Regulations. The impact of safety devices on the ropeway and subsystems connected thereto shall be provided for when carrying out the risk analysis in order to verify that:
37.1. safety devices may react to initially determined distortion or failure and preserve the state that guarantees safety if it is necessary to pass over to operation in a less active regime; and
37.2. safety devices allow to assess the probability of distortion thereof and correspond to the level of safety that is equivalent to that ensured by the safety devices that comply with the requirements referred to in Sub-paragraph 37.2 of these Regulations.
3.3. Repairs or Reconstruction of a Ropeway
38. Repairs of a ropeway shall be replacement of the basic elements, without altering the design of the ropeway and technical specifications, or the welding or replacement of those elements the limit values of which are used in the calculation of load (hereinafter - repairs).
39. The reconstruction of a ropeway shall be:
39.1. change of the main work parameters of the ropeway - the length of the ropeway, type of the traction units, speed of lifting, distance between the traction units, number of serviced passengers, engine-power;
39.2. change of the control devices of the ropeway;
39.3. change of the safety component and other safety components of the ropeway; and
39.4. increase of the number of entrances and exits of the ropeway or relocation thereof.
40. The essential safety requirements referred to in the regulatory enactments regarding ropeway installations intended for the transportation of people shall be observed when carrying out repairs or reconstruction.
41. The possessor shall ensure the performance of an extraordinary technical examination after the reconstruction of the ropeway prior to the commencement of the utilisation of the ropeway in accordance with Chapter 4 of these Regulations.
42. All data regarding repairs and reconstructions of a ropeway, as well as regarding technical examinations that have been carried out after repairs and reconstructions, shall be documented and attached to the passport of the ropeway.
4. Technical Inspections of a Ropeway
43. Technical inspections of a ropeway shall be as follows:
43.1. an initial technical inspection that shall be carried out before the registration of the ropeway with the State Labour Inspectorate;
43.2. regular technical inspections that shall be carried out during the utilisation of the ropeway; and
43.3. extraordinary technical inspections that shall be carried out in the cases specified in Paragraph 50 of these Regulations.
44. The technical inspection of a ropeway shall be carried out by the inspection authority upon the request of the possessor or authorised representative thereof in accordance with the applicable standards and the requirements specified in Chapter 4 of these Regulations.
45. In the initial and regular technical inspection:
45.1. the documentation referred to in Paragraphs 11 and 13 of these Regulations and the compliance thereof with the requirements specified in these Regulations and in the regulatory enactments regarding ropeway installations intended for the transportation of people shall be assessed, as well as the documents of assessment of the conformity certification of new equipment shall be examined;
45.2. the components, subsystems, entrances and exits, enclosing constructions, building constructions and metal constructions of the ropeway shall be assessed visually, the technical state and compliance with the documentation referred to in Paragraph 11 and 13 of these Regulations shall be examined;
45.3. a static test with the load 2.0 from the nominal load for 30 minutes and a dynamic test with the load 1.1 from the nominal load shall be carried out for a ropeway with a cabin (car);
45.4. a dynamic test with the load 1.25 from the nominal load shall be carried out for a ropeway that is intended for the transportation of people through the air in open gondolas or chairs if the installer has not determined another type of the test;
45.5. measurements of compliance of earthing electrical installation and insulation resistance shall be carried out;
45.6. the ropeway shall be examined during the operation thereof in order to ascertain the operating ability of the ropeway elements under conditions foreseen by the manufacturer; and
45.7. the compliance of the data of the risk analysis carried out by the possessor to the factual circumstances shall be examined.
46. In a regular technical inspection:
46.1. the components of a ropeway, subsystems, entrances and exits, enclosing constructions, building constructions and metal constructions shall be assessed visually, the technical condition thereof shall be examined;
46.2. a static test with the load 2.0 from the nominal load for 30 minutes and a dynamic test with the load 1.1 from the nominal load shall be carried out for an aerial ropeway with a cabin (car);
46.3. a dynamic test with the load 1.25 from the nominal load shall be carried out for a ropeway that is intended for the transportation of people over the air in open gondolas or chairs if the installer has not determined another type of the test;
46.4. measurements for earthing electrical installation and compliance of insulation resistance shall be performed; and
46.5. the ropeway shall be examined during the operation thereof in order to ascertain the operating ability of the ropeway elements under conditions foreseen by the manufacturer.
47. A regular inspection of a ropeway shall be carried out once a year. A dynamic test for ropeways that are intended for the transportation of people over the air in open gondolas or chairs shall be carried out once every three years.
48. Ropeways intended for skiers shall be examined prior to the beginning of the season of utilisation thereof, every fourth examination shall be carried out during the summer season.
49. Extraordinary technical inspections of a ropeway shall be carried out after:
49.1. a repeated assembling of the ropeway if the ropeway is assembled in another place;
49.2. reconstruction of the ropeway; or
49.3. a reasonable request of an official of the State Labour Inspectorate, investigating accidents that have occurred due to the utilisation of the ropeway.
50. The inspection authority shall make an entry in the passport of a ropeway regarding the results of the technical inspection of the ropeway and issue a technical inspection protocol to the possessor or an authorised representative thereof. If the inspection authority determines in an inspection that a ropeway complies with the requirements specified in these Regulations and the applicable standards, the inspection authority on the examined ropeway in a visible place adjacent to the data plate of the manufacturer of the ropeway shall attach a safety inspection sign of a dangerous installation.
51. If the inspection authority determines in an inspection a non-compliance of a ropeway with the requirements specified in these Regulations and the applicable standards, the possessor has the duty to rectify the non-compliance and to invite the inspection authority to carry out a repeated inspection.
52. If after a repeated inspection the ropeway does not comply with the requirements specified in these Regulations and the applicable standards or causes a threat to human life, health, property or the environment, the inspection authority shall immediately warn the possessor thereof, as well as inform the authorities specified in Section 12 of the Law On Technical Supervision of Hazardous Equipment.
5. State Supervision and Control of Ropeways
53. The State Labour Inspectorate shall perform the State supervision and control regarding whether the ropeways are registered with the State Labour Inspectorate and are utilised in accordance with the requirements of these Regulations.
54. The State Labour Inspectorate, when performing supervision and control of a ropeway during the utilisation thereof, shall cancel the permit for the utilisation, making a relevant entry in Paragraph 6 of the passport of the ropeway, if it determines that:
54.1. during the last year, the possessor has been subject to repeated administrative sanctions regarding violations of the regulatory enactments regulating the technical supervision of ropeways;
54.2. the possessor has not assigned a responsible specialist in accordance with Sub-paragraph 15.3 of these Regulations; or
54.3. technical inspections of the ropeway have not been carried out according to the procedures specified in Chapter 4 of these Regulations.
55. Appeal of the decision specified in Paragraph 54 of these Regulations shall not discharge the possessor from the fulfilment of the requirements specified in the decision and shall not give the right to continue the utilisation of the ropeway.
6. Closing Provisions
56. Cabinet Regulation No. 95 of 24 February 2004, Regulations for Technical Supervision of Ropeways with a Cabin (Car) for Passengers (Latvijas Vēstnesis, 2004, No. 32) is repealed.
57. If the technical inspection of a ropeway with a cabin (car) intended for passengers has been carried out and the opinion thereof has been issued until the coming into force of these Regulations, the opinion shall be valid until the end of the term of validity indicated therein.
58. These Regulations shall come into force on 1 January 2009.
Prime Minister A. Kalvītis
Minister for Economics J. Strods
Example of a Passport for a Ropeway Installation
Note. This passport shall be handed over when selling, giving as a gift or otherwise alienating the ropeway to another possessor.
Description of the Ropeway
Place for a seal
6. Information regarding the possessor of the ropeway and the address of the installation of the ropeway:
(new page: at least 2 pages shall be provided for the entry of the relevant data)
7. The specialist responsible for the technical state and safe utilisation of the ropeway:
(new page: at least 10 pages shall be provided for the entry of the relevant data)
8. Information regarding replacement of the subsystem, safety components devices:
(new page: at least 10 pages shall be provided for the entry of the relevant data)
9. Information regarding technical inspections carried out:
10. The Annex of the passport shall contain the following:
10.1. the declaration of compliance of the manufacturer of the ropeway or authorised representative thereof regarding the compliance of the ropeway with the requirements specified in Cabinet Regulation No. 578 of 21 October 2003, Regulations Regarding Cableway Installations Designed to Carry People (for the ropeways that have been installed after 1 April 2004);
10.2. characteristics of the subsystems of the ropeway (in accordance with Paragraph 5 in the passport);
10.3. technical drawings for installation of the ropeway where the principal dimensions, as well as places of embarkation and disembarkation, are indicated;
10.4. the schematic electric motor control diagram of the ropeway, as well as the control, signalling and lighting circuits; and
10.5. other information that is essential for a safe maintenance of the ropeway.
Place for a seal
Place for a seal
Minister for Economics J. Strods
Translation © 2007 Tulkošanas un terminoloģijas centrs (Translation and Terminology Centre)
Title: Noteikumi par trošu ceļu iekārtu nodošanu lietošanā un tehniskās uzraudzības kārtību Status: