AGREEMENT between the Government of the Republic of Latvia and the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan on economic, industrial, scientific and technical cooperation
The Government of the Republic of Latvia and the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan, hereinafter referred to as "the Parties",
recalling the development of friendly relations between the Republic of Latvia and the Republic of Tajikistan,
desiring to strengthen, maintain and develop economic, industrial, scientific and technical cooperation between the Parties,
recognizing the importance of long term measures for the successful development of the cooperation and the strengthening of ties between the Parties at various levels and, in particular, at the level of their economic cooperation,
being guided by the principles of equality, mutual interests and international law,
considering commitments of the Republic of Latvia as a member state of European Union,
bearing in mind the obligations imposed by the agreements between the European Union and the Republic of Tajikistan,
Have agreed as follows:
1. The Parties shall, within the framework of their respective national laws and regulations and taking into account their international obligations, make every effort to develop, strengthen and diversify economic, industrial, scientific and technical cooperation, on as broad a basis as possible, in all fields deemed to be in their mutual interest and benefit.
2. Such cooperation shall be aimed, in particular, at:
(i) strengthening and diversifying economic links between the Parties,
(ii) encouraging cooperation between economic operators, including small and medium sized enterprises, with a view to promote investment, joint ventures, licensing agreements and other forms of cooperation between them.
1. The cooperation provided for in Article 1 of this Agreement, shall extent, in particular, in the following sectors:
(i) industry (electrical engineering, electronics, mechanical engineering, metalwork and textiles),
(v) information technologies,
(vi) post and telecommunication,
(vii) science, technologies and innovations,
(viii) agriculture, including agro-industry,
(ix) construction and housing,
(x) vocational training and management training,
(xi) other sectors of mutual interest which promote the further expansion of economic, industrial, scientific and technical cooperation.
2. The Parties shall consult in order to identify the priority sector in their cooperation as well as new sectors of economic, industrial, scientific and technical cooperation to be included.
In order to attain the objectives of this Agreement, the Parties shall facilitate and promote, among other things:
(i) communication and cooperation between governmental institutions;
(ii) links between professional organizations, chambers, and associations;
(iii) visits, contacts and activities designed to promote cooperation between individuals, officials and economic organizations;
(iv) the organization of fairs and exhibitions;
(v) the organization of seminars and symposia;
(vi) the forming of joint ventures and other forms of joint economic activities;
(vii) participation of small and medium-sized enterprises in bilateral economic relations;
(viii) trade promotion activities.
1. The Parties shall regularly exchange information about trade, investment, financial services and other information, necessary for the promotion and facilitation of economic, industrial, scientific and technical cooperation.
The information received by one of the Parties within the scope of mutual cooperation, shall be transferred to the third Party only after the written consent of the Party which have presented this information. The information received in the process of cooperation, shall not be used to the detriment of interests of the Parties.
2. The resolution of issues and the order of use of results of joint scientific and technical researches and other information obtained during implementation of scientific and technical and other researches within the scope of mutual cooperation, as well as issues concerning to protection of objects of the industrial property and copyrights to intellectual property, shall be accordingly co-ordinated in each specific case by the conclusion of separate agreements between corresponding bodies of the Parties.
1. To ensure the implementation of this Agreement the Parties shall establish the Joint Committee.
2. The Joint Committee shall be composed of representatives of respective state authorities of the Parties and shall meet, at the request of either Party, alternatively in the Republic of Latvia and in the Republic of Tajikistan at the time to be mutually agreed upon through diplomatic channels.
3. The Joint Committee may invite representatives of business circles of the Parties to take part in its work.
1. The main tasks of the Joint Committee are as follows:
(i) to monitor and examine the functioning of this Agreement and any questions that may arise in the implementation of this Agreement;
(ii) to discuss programs of economic, industrial, scientific and technical cooperation in the spheres of mutual interest;
(iii) to examine problems that could hinder the development of economic cooperation and trade between the Parties;
(iv) to compare statistics of the Parties.
2. The Joint Committee shall make recommendation on amendments and supplements to this Agreement.
Any dispute between the Parties, concerning the interpretation or implementation of this Agreement, shall be settled amicably through consultation and negotiations.
1. This Agreement shall enter into force thirty (30) days after the date of receipt of the last written notification through diplomatic channels by which the Parties inform each other, that the internal legal requirements necessary for its entry into force have been fulfilled.
2. This Agreement shall remain in force for a period of five (5) years from the date of its entry into force and will be tacitly renewed for consecutive periods of one (1) year, unless either Party notifies in writing the other of its intention to terminate this Agreement six (6) months prior to the expiration of its initial or any subsequent period of duration.
3. The provision of this Agreement may be amended at any time after its entry into force, in such manner as may be agreed between the Parties. Such amendments shall enter into force in accordance with the procedures provided for in paragraph 1 of this Article.
Done in duplicate, in Dushanbe on 11 July 2009 in Latvian, Tajik and English languages, all texts being equally authentic. In case of divergence in interpretation the English text shall prevail.
Entry into force:
Place of signature:Dušanbe
Cabinet of Ministers
Publication:"Latvijas Vēstnesis", 179, 11.11.2009.